At college-linked retirement communities, many of the residents are retired professors or alumni of the college or university, but this is usually not a requirement. Anyone looking for intellectually stimulating programs will be involved in finding these schools.
Making it convenient to maintain lifelong learning is the purpose of these communities.
Many university-linked communities also will provide an assisted living option.
Communities near colleges...
Many other communities that are not formally college-linked are near colleges. They have attractive lifelong learning programs. These programs provide vital mental stimulation for the senior years.
University of Virginia campus
New England Mid-Atlantic Midwest Southeast Southern Southwest West Northwest Communities Near Colleges The College Town Junior Colleges
Recent evidence shows that the brain can be helped to keep young with lifelong learning programs. These programs, proven to aid longevity, possibly keep the brain from memory diseases. Research is on-going.
If one wishes to live in a college-linked community, be sure to carefully study their restrictions and financial arrangements.
Research shows that many people wish to return to the towns they enjoyed during their college years for their retirement.
New England College-Linked Retirement Communities
- Lasell College - Lasell Village By Campus Continuum. Also
CCRC - lifecare community includes nursing home - village style
apartments with required continuing education and lifelong learning
programs Lasell Village
- University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth By Campus
Continuum. Under consideration. Please check the status of community with
Campus Continuum website. This college is one of 5 campuses in the
University of Massachusetts system. The campus is 710 acres. They hope to have 100 homes, but is yet to be determined. You can fill out the survey form. University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth
About Campus Continuum
Campus Continuum develops over-55 retirement communities at
colleges. The residences can be condominiums, town homes, single-family
homes and it varies depending on the community. You do not have to be
previously affiliated with the college (please verify.)
Residents at Campus Continuum over 55 communities on college
campuses have access to programs and facilities of the college, seminars
and programs. There are paid jobs and/or volunteer opportunities.
In most cases, there is a Dean of Programs who coordinates
relations between the college and residents. By going to their site,
you can see proposed future communities and plenty of detail about them.
Check out their excellent articles in the resource category.
- The McAuley - Adjoins St. Joseph's College and residents can
attend college events - West Hartford - cc&r, independent and
assisted living(860) 920-6300
- Dartmouth, Kendal at Hanover, New Hampshire - 2 miles to Dartmouth where residents can attend courses through Institute of Lifelong Learning. Kendal at Hanover
- Rochester Institute of Technology - Rivers Run Rochester -
1 1/2 miles from the campus - independent living apartments include 2
meals and housekeeping and purchase cottages - they offer a visit
program Rivers Run
- University of Michigan, University Commons, Independent Living, CCRC, Ann Arbor, Mich. Founded by faculty - 92 condominium units near campus on land donated by university University Commons
- Oberlin College, Kendal at Oberlin, is physically close to
Oberlin and has a relationship with it but also affiliated with several
other colleges in Ohio such as Akron University, Case Western Reserve,
Cleveland State University, Lorain County Community College, Bowling
Green University, Ohio State University. The Academy of Lifetime
Learning is also affiliated with Oberlin and Elderhostel Institute
Network Kendal at Oberlin
- Kendal at Granville at Granville, Ohio - a relationship with Denison University. Kendal at Granville
- Villa St. Benedict - Benedictine University - (888) 844-7823
- Anderson University - University Village Condos - Indiana - Independent Living
Notre Dame - Holy Cross Village - South Bend, Indiana, - Currently independent living Holy Cross Village
- Indiana University Bloomington - (877) 330-4370
- Purdue University West Lafayette - University Place - (765) 464-5606
Colleges in the Southeast
- Washington and Lee, Kendall at Lexington Near Charlottesville - Within walking distance to college. Apartment and college living. Also continuing care. Kendal at Lexington
- Virginia Military Institute, Kendall at Lexington
- University of Virginia - The Colonnades at Charlottesville
This is a Sunrise Senior Living community - Continuing care - not
college linked but has close proximity within minutes to University of
Virginia. The Colonnades
- The Woodlands at Furman - Greenville - Adjacent to Furman
University with university programs and Osher Lifelong Learning program.
Independent, assisted and continuing care community. The Woodlands at Furman
- Winthrop University - Rock Hill in the Northeast corner of SC - They are utilizing a survey to gauge interest in having an over 55 community linked their university. See their website to stay updated.
(Also see our Georgia page--there are many condominiums around the university with walking distance to the school.)
Southern Region Colleges
- University of Florida at Gainesville - Oak Hammock - - Includes Continuing Care
- Capstone Village - University of Alabama - Rental options available with no large entrance fees - Amenities include Wellness Center, dining, social activities.
601 5th Ave. East, Tuscaloosa - (800) 799-5099
Southwest Region colleges
- University of Texas - Longhorn Village - upscale retirement village - deposit and monthly fee - apartments and villas - Independent and continuing care if needed - heated pool, day spa, fitness, activities.
12501 Longhorn Pkwy, Austin - 512-266-5600
- University of Arizona Tucson, Arizona - Arizona Senior Academy of life long learning - Village Academy - Independent Living The Academy Village
Colleges in the West
- University Village at Thousand Oaks, Calif. - Cal Lutheran University
Communities near colleges
Another type of retirement community that can provide academic stimulation is one that is near a college and has a close connection with the school but is not a college-linked retirement community.
At communities in or near colleges you do not have to go very far
to do the thing you love the most -- reading, learning, libraries,
discussions with stimulating people, interacting with young people and
much more can be a short and convenient walk away.
Consider these outstanding examples:
The Kendall continuing care communities (Quaker traditions) have a natural affinity to
lifelong learning. Most have an informal
association with area colleges.
Their locations include:
- Massachusetts: Northampton and Easthampton by Lathrop
- New Hampshire: Kendal at Hanover CCRC
- New York: Kendal at Ithaca CCRC
- Pennsylvania: Kendal at Crosslands CCRC - adjacent to Longwood Gardens and near Univ of Delaware, Haverland and Swarthmore colleges.
Kendall in Bucks County: Chandler Hall - Independent with many Personal care options - Apartments and cottages.
- Ohio: Kendal at Oberlin CCRC - one mile to Oberlin College and music conservatory.
- Virginia: Kendal at Lexington CCRC near Washington and Lee and Virginia Military Institute.
Go to www.kendal.org
- Maryland: Collington - Connections with local community college - take as many college courses as you choose in a year for a small fee.
10450 Lottsford Rd., Mitchellville, Md. - 888-257-9468
- Illinois: The Admiral at the Lake - 929 West Foster Ave., Chicago
Photo by The Merion
- The Merion - Evanston - North Shore of Chicago - Senior rental community that includes meal plan and housekeeping will have programs with Northwestern University soon. Please check status of programs with community. Studios, 1- and 2-Bedroom apartments. Rents start $2400./month with 13-month lease (verify).
1611 Chicago Ave., Evanston, Illinois - 877-343-0506
- Rhode Island: Brown University in Rhode Island has an adult education program called the Brown Community for Learning in Retirement offering learning experiences for retirees living within commute distance of Providence. Courses are held at Brown.
- Laurelmead Retirement Community, located near Brown in
Rhode Island, has a course connected to Brown as part of their
"Laurelmead College" program. At Laurelmead more of their residents
matriculated at Brown than at any other college. Several residents are
on Brown's faculty but residents who are alumni of many other schools
reside there as well. Making it easier to reside there is that there
are no educational requirements. So, regardless of educational
background, residents continue education and learning.
- Prestwick-Chase Retirement Community Saratoga Springs, NY -
These senior apartments, in one of my favorite retirement areas, with
month-to-month leases, have educational programs in the community and
other nearby locations with the Academy for Lifelong Learning at SUNY
Empire State College. Near Skidmore College. Prestwick-Chase Retirement Community
- Liberty Hill State College, PA. - For those over 55 by
Traditions of America - Minutes to OSHER lifelong learning program at
Penn State. New town homes for purchase - 411 Beacon Circle
Phone: 814-466-9490 - Open daily
The College Town
Another alternative to college-linked communities is the college
town. Studies show that many seniors return to the towns they attended
college in because of the association with happy times.
Most state supported colleges will allow seniors to audit classes free or reduced cost but check with the college to make sure.
The following list shows schools with informal programs for
seniors or are college towns and are not fully college-linked retirement
- University of Tennessee in Knoxville - University Outreach and Continuing Education University Outreach . "Seniors for Creative Learning" Community: Various assisted living and continuing care in area.
- Brown University - Laurelmead Retirement Community has
connections to Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Brown has
an adult education program called "Learning in Retirement" for seniors
within commute to Providence.
- Clemson University - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
Community: Various assisted living and continuing care in area.
- University of Georgia - Athens - A college town -
Community: Various assisted living and continuing care communities such
as Iris Place by Holiday Retirement Corp. Also, Sterling Mills
Retirement Commmunity - single homes. Various condominiums are being
built in Athens with walk distance to the school and affiliated with
- University of Southwest - Georgetown, Texas - Senior University, a partnership with University of Southwest, Georgetown, Texas.
See Texas in Southwest Category for Communities in Georgetown, Tex.
University Retirement Community at Davis University of California
at Davis, California. 1515 Shasta Drive, Davis CA apartments and
cottages - Continuing care retirement community with independent and
assisted living. Reasonable entry fee. University Retirement Community at Davis
More popular college towns for retirement in addition to above:
- Southern Oregon State College- Ashland, Oregon
- Univ. of California San Luis Obispo
- University of Colorado Boulder, Colo.
- Stony Brook University Long Island, NY - has Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
Osher Lifelong Learning:
If you have not heard of Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, it has lifelong learning programs at 120 colleges and universities across the United States. This is a stimulating program for 50+ adults. For a fee, seniors have access to guest speakers, courses etc for continued learning at the school. See if there is one near your retirement area. Go here to find a OLLI program near you.
The Market Common in Ithaca - a stimulating college town
More Popular college towns for retirement:
Ann Arbor; Iowa City; Cambridge; Ames, Iowa; Corvallis, Ore; Palo
Alto, Calif; Chapel Hill, NC; Madison Wisc; Ithaca, NY; Santa Cruz,
California; Westwood, California; Charlottesville, VA.
There are numerous junior colleges also that have programs at
retirement communities. Check with the community you are interested in
to see if there are any educational programs if there is a junior college nearby.
Riderwood - CCRC in Silver Spring by Erickson is an example of a community having programs
with a local community college. Large, active community with
apartment-styled units. Entrance fee and monthly fee.
Most state-funded colleges allow seniors to audit classes for free or discounted. Ask the college to find out what they have available for seniors.
Viewed the most:
- Vi Living adjacent to Stanford University, Palo Alto, Ca.
- Duke University - The Forest at Duke
- University of Arizona, Tucson - The Academy Village
Back to Top of Page
This is where you are:
Best Guide home page
› College Linked