55+ Communities in South Carolina
See Tours of Historic Homes in Charleston
This page has over age 55 communities in South Carolina. Also see the page for all ages but good for retirement in South Carolina and Myrtle Beach 55+.
View Larger Map
Charleston Historic Home
Warm Southern towns near beaches and low-cost homes.
- The Elms - North Charleston. Small to medium appealing cottage-styled single homes with 3 BR's and garage are from $180,000-$214,000. Former plantation. 8 mi to downtown. Resale--See local Realtors.
- walk paths
- electronic gated
- clubhouse and pool
- social activities
Elms Plantation Blvd., No. Charleston
Summerville - country relaxed living (27 miles to Charleston)
- The Ponds: A master planned community where you can find new homes or choose your lot and build your own. Picture moss-draped oaks. 25 miles to Charleston.
- Cresswind at The Ponds - Summerville - By Kolter - In master community The Ponds of 1000 acres and moss-draped oaks - planned clubhouse and pool - focus on fitness with a full fitness center, onsite YMCA and proposed aquatics - walk trails, rec fields, ponds and fishing, activities and more. 2 and 3-bedroom single homes from $240's.
324 Hundred Oaks Pkwy, Summerville - 888-476-3017 - Open Mon-Sat
- Carillon at The Ponds - Summerville - By DR Horton - one and two-story traditional homes in a gated community. The Ponds is composed of 1950 acres and only 850 will be built on. This is a small section of 56 homes for those over 55. Sold. Amenities include:
- 21 miles of nature trails -
- saline pool -
- Near YMCA -
- wooded areas -
3, 4, and 5 bedroom homes start high Mid-$200's.
326 Hundred Oaks Pkwy, Summerville - 843-832-6100
Time to Buy
New: Four Seasons at The Lakes at Cane Bay - By K Hovnanian. Centered around a lakes system with boating, boat ramp and storage, kayaking, fishing and more (verify). Gated, clubhouse, pool, tennis, trails, outdoor amphitheater and more. 11 mi. to Summerville - about 30 mi. to Charleston. Small to large single homes from $220's. 1378 Cane Bay Blvd., Summerville - 866-823-8852 - Open Daily
More 55+ in Summerville:
- Dell Webb's Charleston $-$$ Summerville and 25 miles northwest of Charleston - Gated single-family homes within the master planned community of Cane Bay with miles of walking trails and many amenities - starting high $180's. Nearing close-out.
409 Coastal Bluff Way, Summerville - 800-808-4553 - Open Daily
Up Next: After the success of the other Del Webb community in Summerville, Del Webb has another community coming to Summerville:
Del Webb Nexton
Gated community of 2-4 bedroom homes - not priced yet
Nexton Parkway, Summerville
The Pines at Gahagan Summerville By H&H Homes starting in $260's. Large single homes in gated community. Clubhouse, pool with patio and other amenities. Few homes remaining.
501 Gahagan Rd., Summerville - 843-609-8811
Ladson near Summerville Manufactured Homes
- Ladson community by Jensen Manufactured Homes communities: Southern Palms Ladson SC - gated manufactured homes by Jensen Communities between Summerville and Charleston SC - Southern Palms at Ladson
Invigorating beaches along the Grand Strand, 60 miles of fun, sun, and sea.
North Myrtle Beach in June
Surfside Beach at dawn
See our Review and listings of Myrtle Beach retirement communities.
Also see the review of Jensen manufactured homes over 55 communities from our trip to Myrtle Beach.
South Carolina Coastal: The "Low Country"
Fact about Sun City Hilton Head in Bluffton by Del Webb: This is possibly the most active Del Webb community with over 100 clubs and organizations. See our blog about large communities. It has:
- 3 18-hole golf courses (in an area that is known for golf)
- 3 Fitness Centers
- 6 Pools
- Woodworker's Shop
- 2 Restaurants
- Road Scholar travel program
Sun City Hilton Head by Del Webb at Bluffton - $-$$ premier community in the Carolinas with wide range of prices and floorplans. Small to large 1, 2 and 3-bedroom contemporary single homes. 3 collections. Starts: low $200's up to $300's. Three 18-hole golfcourses.
138 Kings Creek Dr., Bluffton - 877-785-8319
- The Haven at New Riverside by Del Webb - $$ - Another community by Del Webb in Bluffton, SC - projected 500 homes - gated community of 2-3 bedroom medium to large homes. Amenities include:
- Recreation: Pool, tennis, fishing, Fitness, pickleball, bocce, biking and walking
- Road Scholar
- Start low $220's.
138 Kings Creek Court, Bluffton - 866-932-2463
- The Cypress of Hilton Head - Award winning luxury continuing care retirement community located in Hilton Head Plantation - Home ownership - Cottages, villas and apartments for 62+ - Many social and recreational activities including 3-hole golf.
20 Lady Slipper Lane, Hilton Head Island - 800-458-8585
Resale Homes near Hilton Head:
- Riverbend - by Del Webb - a gated neighborhood of Sun City Hilton Head and 15 miles from Hilton Head - large custom homes on wooded lots - 2 golfcourses - access to Sun City Center amenities. Resales. 138 Kings Creek Dr., Hilton Head.
New homes south of Charlotte NC in Fort Mill and Indian Land, SC:
New Carolina Orchards by Del Webb - Small to large 2-bedroom ranch homes from mid-$200's. 9 models to view. 1277 Carolina Orchards Blvd., Fort Mill, SC - 866-214-9125 - Open Daily
Sun City Carolina Lakes by Del Webb - Fort Mill near Charlotte metro area and 5 miles from North Carolina border - 18-hole golf - lakes - miles of walking trails. Single homes from $212,999. Over 100 clubs. Five collections. 5074 Grandview Dr., Fort Mill
New Homes In Indian Land, East of Fort Mill
Now Previewing Daily - Sign onto Interest List now for updates. South of Charlotte. Gated community of single homes with a nature theme. Access to 10-acre lake. Pricing from mid-$200's. Call for more information.
140 Halifax Dr., Indian Land, SC - 888-208-4141
Most Popular on this page (updated quarterly)
Related pages for South Carolina
See the Myrtle Beach Retirement Communities page
Best Guide Home
South Carolina communities with no age restriction
Also, see Best Guide's blog about the Charleston Tour of historic homes.
Looking for horse communities in South Carolina?
over 55 South Carolina