Virginia Retirement Communities for 55+
Northern Virginia Retirement Communities, around Washington, DC, are in a fast-developing area and within commute distance to DC. Keep Updated with this 55+ guide. There are many 55+ communities located here: urban, country, large and small.
Currently Selling New for Over Age 55:
See the Guide to Newest Communities in Northern Virginia, description of Virginia areas, map, and Most Popular on this page
City of Alexandria Prince William County (Haymarket, Gainesville, Bristow, Woodbridge) Shenandoah Valley Area: (Lake Frederick, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Winchester) Albemarle (Charlottesville) Loudoun County (Ashburn, Broadlands, Lansdowne, Gainesville, Lovettsville, Sterling) Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg)
Resale 55+ Communities:
Resale Communities (Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince William, Frederick, Fauquier, Albemarle, Loudoun, Stafford and Spotsylvania Counties)
Page 2 - Williamsburg and Richmond Areas in the southeast plus Montgomery and Roanoke counties in the southwest of the state.
Page 3 - Virginia Beach
Prince William County 55+ Communities
- $300's New Four Seasons at Virginia Crossing - Woodbridge - Villas and condos - Amenities include clubhouse, pool, recreation, walk trail and more. Starting $300's. By K Hovnanian Homes - 14001 Madrona Lane - 888-779-1455 - 703-952-5324
- $500's Carter's Mill - By Del Webb - resort-style for 55+ - Pricing in $500's - 1 mile to 66 - John Marshall Hwy and James Madison Hwy, Haymarket - 540-253-4294
New 55+ in Shenandoah Valley Area
55+ community Lake Frederick in Front Royal area (Frederick County) by Shea Homes--selling now:
Photo by Trilogy® at Shea Homes - Lake Frederick Clubhouse
- $500's Trilogy® at Lake Frederick in Frederick County by Shea Homes | Near Front Royal by this popular California (now national) builder. | 941 homes at completion. | Price range: Start $500's. Stop by and see today. Open daily 10-5
104 Hawthorne Court, Lake Frederick - 800-685-6494
See our Review....
New 55+ Community in Charlottesville Area
Charlottesville is home to the University of Virginia. Also easy commute to Richmond.
- $400's/lots $80,000's Cottages at Spring Creek - Wilberger Properties at
master community Spring Creek consisting of various neighborhoods most
not for over 55 but lots of nice amenities for retirees; a golf course
community. Lot sales. Convenient to Charlottesville and UVA and 40 minutes to
Richmond. Spring Creek golf course ranked in Top 100 in country by "Golf Week". Spring Creek Parkway, Gordonsville/109 Clubhouse Way (golf club) 540-832-0744 - Open Daily
55+ in Loudoun County
- From $700's Regency at Belmont - Ashburn - Large luxury 3-4-bedroom elevator townhomes. Access to Belmont Country Club. By Toll Bros. Low maintenance living means lawn care and snow removal. Russell Branch Pkwy and Ashburn Rd., Ashburn - 855-298-0316
- $600's Montebello - By Del Webb in Sterling - Single homes and villas with resort amenities - pool, clubhouse and more. Adjacent to Claude Moore Park. Potomac View Rd. and Rilassare Terrace, Sterling. 703-650-5590 - Open daily except Monday - Monday by appointment. Please call for directions to sales office which may differ from community location.
- $400's New The Flats at Montebello - Sterling - part of Montebello. Single-level medium to large elevator condos with resort amenities by Del Webb. Features owners walk-in closets. Potomac View Rd. and Rilassare Terrace - Selling from Carters Mill - 703-740-5207
- $400's Birchwood at Brambleton - 55+ community in popular location - condos (from $400's), elevator flats (from $300's), and villa-style homes (from $500's) in this popular master community. Currently three builders with a variety of architectural designs such as contemporary urban, bungalow or European:
- VanMetre from $700's
- Miller & Smith
- Winchester Homes
Amenities include social clubs.
42395 Ryan Rd., Brambleton - 703-542-2925 - Open Daily
- $400's New Archer Square - At Birchwood at Brambleton - 55+ condominiums by Knutson - Starting upper $400's to $600's. 4 buildings with 25 residences in each. 1, 2, and 3-bedrooms with dens and balconies available. By appointment - Selling at: 22855 Brambleton Plaza #103 (across from library) 703-775-0480
- $400's Barley Woods - The Villas of Fredericksburg
By Cornerstone Homes | Medium to large homes now from high $400's | 124 single-level homes plus new paired homes | Clubhouse, pool and more | Near commuter rail station. 12301 Barley Woods Ave., Fredericksburg - 540-318-1810; Open Daily - Sales Center in clubhouse - Almost sold out.
- Upper $300's New Regency North - Fredericksburg - 2-3 BR ranch homes - models open every day by appointment - Minutes to I-95.
Included in base price: Quartz countertops (verify), upgraded cabinetry, hardwood floors, ceramic tile in many areas - please verify with agent specifically what is included.
Amenities to include: clubhouse, pool, trails and pickleball courts. Plentiful shopping and dining in area and there will be a future Fredericksburg Healthcare Center in area (verify)
12406 General Mahone Dr., Fredericksburg - 540-377-0800
Resale Retirement Communities
in northern virginia
(Check with local Realtors or the community builder for resales.)
City of Alexandria
Crest of Alexandria
- Crest of Alexandria by Van Metre Homes - Urban senior living community in Alexandria | Townhomes and single homes for 55+ | Modern Tudor design | Great location in metro DC area. Started $600's - Sold Out.
7928 Ashland Dr., Alexandria
- Crest of Alexandria Affordable Housing - Sold Out: Affordable housing opportunity for condominiums at affordable housing prices at the Crest of Alexandria - Fairfax County income limits apply. First come first served basis. 6107 Fairview Farm Drive #105, Alexandria.
- Craftmark Homes at The Crest of Alexandria - SOLD OUT - 55+ Townhomes with elevators were selling by appointment from $600's. Clubhouse, fire pit, nature inspired grounds, koi pond, trails, and more. 3 professional interior designs to choose from. 7900 Telegraph Rd., Alexandria
Fairfax County Resale Communities
- The Atrium at MetroWest - Luxury condos in elevator building - By Del Webb - Were priced from upper $600's. Next to Vienna/Fairfax Metro. 9475B Sprague Ave., Fairfax
Spring Hill Villas
- Spring Hill Villas by Pulte Lorton Sold out Condos are adjacent to the villas (both sold out). Urban-styled condos within commute to DC (19 miles). There is a VRE commuter train in Lorton. Also Amtrak. Near the Laurel Hill Golf Club and the new Arts Complex.
Floor plans encompass fresh and new ideas. The Easton features a large great room, 2 bedrooms that are separated on either side of the unit, and a large kitchen with good counter top space.
Condos were priced from low $200's to $400,000's. All are 2 BR/2Baths (some have dens) and sizes vary. Features include pool, paths, clubhouse, visiting tot lot, fitness and more. 8425 Peace Lily Court | Lorton, VA.
See our Review of Spring Hill Condominiums by Pulte
- Saintsbury Plaza - Vienna in Fairfax County - Porten Homes - condominiums in popular area with amenities. See your local Realtor for possible resales.
Resale Communities in Prince William County
- Regency at Creekside - Sold Out. Planned clubhouse, pools and recreation. | By Toll Brothers | Minutes from Gainesville. | Gated community of single-family homes. | Hiking and biking trails. Started from low $500's.
5570 Catharpin Rd., Gainesville, Va.
- Gatherings at Wellington By Beazer Homes - Manassas - started mid- $200's - energy star condominiums in elevator building. Hastings Drive and Dumfries Rd, Manassas
See our Review
Heritage Hunt clubhouse
- Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club by Lennar - Resales - Gainesville (45 minutes to Wash DC) - 800 acres - Single homes in Luxury resort - Price - $$$. Large community of 2000 homes at closeout (verify).
- Heritage Hunt Condominiums - 2 and 3 bedrooms
- Heritage Hunt Garden - Single Homes in Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club started in $300's.
- Heritage Hunt Patio Gainesville by Lennar - Single homes started in the $400's Check with local Realtors for resales.
6921 Netherstone Court, Gainesville, VA
- Regency at Dominion Valley - Haymarket - By premier builder Toll Brothers. This area is not as far as Shenandoah, about halfway between DC and Shenandoah.
Resale award-winning luxury single-family homes, patio town homes and luxury courtyard condominium homes. Designer golf course, 2 pools, winding nature trails, and grand Regency Club with dining, fitness and more.
5505 Players Circle, Haymarket
- Regency at Dominion Valley Greenbrier - Sold Out. Haymarket - Low-rise condominiums in an elevator building with garages. | Started from $312,995. | 7 buildings with 22 condos in each. 5300 Merchants View Square
- Dunbarton - By Brookfield Homes in Bristow. Prince William County. Single-family homes. Check for resales. Brookfield Homes is ahead of the curve for energy savings and green building.
- Hidden Brooke Springfield - Sold Out - by Providence of Brookfield Homes - condominiums - check for resales
- Liberty Grove by Airston Homes - Condominium community - Resales
- Beacon Park Condos - By Comstock Homes at Woodbridge. Condominiums. Water views, clubhouse, pool, golf, walking trails. Check status. Resales only. Ph: 703-883-1700.
- Green spring by Erickson at Springfield - for over age 62 - apartment homes featuring refundable deposit and outstanding amenities. Assisted living and care if needed.
- Copperidge in Culpepper - 10 minutes DC - by Engle - Resort-style, Single family and townhomes
Frederick County 55+ Resale Homes
- Gatherings at Shenandoah - Scenic Blue Ridge Mountain Retreat near Winchester - By Beazer Homes - Frederick County - Singles and villas.
- Willow Lawn Cottages - Winchester VA Resale - single homes in $200's.
- Cross Creek Village - Winchester - single homes start low $200's.
- The Village at Harvest Ridge - Sold Out - single homes started low $300's - By OakCrest Builders - traditional homes with refined touches such as brick-paved driveways and quaint street lamps. Option for 2nd floor. Age-in-place features include wide doorways and large showers. 404 Mikey Court (off I-81), Winchester
- The Village at Meadow Pointe - Harrisonburg - Another 55+ community by OakCrest Builders. Villa homes in the upper $200's. Community activities center, walking trails and views of Blue Ridge Mountains. Ten minutes to town - Pointe Dr., Harrisonburg (Shenandoah Valley region)
- Cedar Meadows - Gated community of single homes with garages - Community Center - all homes priced in high $200's. Sold
500 White Oak Rd., White Post, VA (Clark County)
Fauquier County Resale
- Legacy at Suffield Meadows - Warrenton Fauquier County near Historic Old Town- by Ryan Homes - Price - $$-$$$ - smaller community with nature amenities - Clubhouse, pool, walking trails. Located on Suffield Lane, off U.S. 29.
Also note: There is an assisted and independent community at Suffield Meadows called The Villa at Suffield Meadows. It has access to the amenities at the 55 community.
- Annadale - Gordonsville near Charlottesville
- Four Seasons at Historic Virginia - Near Potomac Mills at Dumfries by K. Hovnanian
- Four Seasons at Vint Hill - at Warrenton by K. Hovnanian
- Hidden Brooke In Springfield by Brookfield Homes. Resales only.
Resales of 55+ Communities in Charlottesville in Albemarle County
- The Cottages at Jefferson Heights - Wilberger Properties - convenient to Charlottesville - 3 bedroom/2 1/2 bath luxury townhomes. Resales. Check with local Realtors.
- Four Seasons at Charlottesville By K. Hovnanian at Ruckersville - Greene County - In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains close to downtown Charlottesville - Phase one completed. If you wish to visit this community call a local Realtor for resales and status. I don't believe Khovnanian are owners currently. This is a lovely country environment with large clubhouse and miles of walking trails.
Rental Apartments in Charlottesville
- The Independence - Rental apartments - these apartment homes have many of the same amenities of an active 55 community - Large apartments. Community garden, Bark Park and more. Starts $1300's and up (verify as rents can change without notice.)
350 Portico Way, Charlottesville - 888-495-5786
Loudoun County 55+ Resale Communities
Potomac Green - Ashburn - Another great resort community in upscale Loudoun County - This one of single-family homes, condos, and villas - by Del Webb/Centex. 20580 Hope Spring Terrace - See Realtors for resales
See our review of the original homes at Potomac Green
Lansdowne Woods (formerly Leisure World) in Autumn
- Lansdowne Woods of Virginia - (previously named Leisure World of Virginia) - Lansdowne, VA - Upscale, fast-growing area. Developer is IDI Group. Condominiums. Clubhouse features swim center and spa, multiple classrooms, rooftop tennis deck, Gourmet Stop n Shop, concierge, beauty salon and more. Golf course or river views from the $200's to the $600's. Now sold out. No new phases planned for now.
Update: There is also a 7-unit condominium building for luxury living within the community. It is called The Overlook and is located near the entrance where there are some beautiful panorama views. (See new communities, above.) Update: SOLD OUT
Our review and photos of Lansdowne Woods in Lansdowne
- Central Parke at Lowes Island - Resort community of townhomes and condos. Amenities include clubhouse, pool, fitness center.
20799 Royal Palace Square, Sterling, Va.
The Villages at Broadlands
- The Villages at Broadlands - Active adult community in the Broadlands master community - By Van Metre - for 50+ - luxury elevator condos with garages - 2 and 3 bedrooms with dens - up to 1700+ sq ft - started mid-$300's. 43138 Stillwater Terrace, Ashburn - See local Realtors.
4 Seasons at Ashbury at Grand Opening
- Four Seasons at Ashburn by K. Hovnanian - condominiums tucked away in great Northern Virginia location near Dulles Airport. Lots of shopping, restaurants and medical nearby. In Ashburn Village complex - Courtland Dr., Ashburn - See local Realtors.
- Heritage Highlands by Lennar - Lovettsville - 80 single level homes were from $200,000's. Mountain views. Near to MARC commuter train. Amenities are recreation center and walking trail. Resales. 37 Harpers Mill Way, Lovettsville
- Four Seasons at Dulles Discovery - By K. Hovnanian. - Loudoun County - Townhome/Condominium minutes from Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and Dulles Airport. Luxury villas and townhomes. Neighborhood town center. See Realtors for resales.
- Lexington 7 - Sold - 55+ by Pulte Homes - the focus is on the lifestyle of Loudoun County and the area amenities - Attached villa homes were in the low $500's. Near Bles Park.
Lexington Dr. and Harry Byrd Highway, Ashburn
- The Signature - By Van Metre Homes - 2 and 3-bedroom urban-styled homes in elevator buildings - Near Dulles Airport - Amenities include pool, tennis, parking garage and more. Were priced in upper $300's. Sold Out. 43045 Van Metre Dr. Suite 175, Broadlands, Va.
- Regency at Ashburn by Toll Bros - 2 bedroom/2 bath townhomes and condominiums. Attached homes with garages. Gated with resort amenities. Greenbriar collection of single level condominiums were from $300's. Tennis, pool, hiking and biking trails. Sold out.
The Greenbriar: 44589 York Crest Terrace, Ashburn
- Regency at Chancellorsville by Toll - Fredericksburg - Award-winning resort community of spacious 2 BR/2Ba single homes with garage started upper $300,000's. Variety of floor plans. Amenities. Sold out. 7305 Lee's Command Blvd. Fredericksburg
- Virginia Heritage at Lee's Parke by Lennar - Fredericksburg - Cottages, Manors and Plantations collections are sold out. Was priced from $300,000's - 5832 New Berne Rd., Fredericksburg
Stafford County Senior Living Resale Communities
- Leeland Station by K Hovnanian - VRE station within walking distance - commute to DC - an age-restricted community in the development - started from mid-$200's - garden baths, gourmet island kitchens, medium to large homes. 275 Leeland Rd., Fredericksburg
Spotsylvania County Resale Retirement Communities
Fredericksburg is an independent city but nearest to Spotsylvania County.
Celebrate 55+ community view of homes-sold
- Celebrate - by Del Webb - 11 McQuarie Dr., Fredericksburg - Large community of single family homes in resort-style community ten minutes to Rappahonnock River for kayaking, hiking. Also, pool, tennis. Near Cannon Ridge Golf Club. Major shopping nearby as well as quaint boutiques of historic Old Town Fredericksburg. Villas, Premier and Classic Collections were available from $400's. This community uses green features to minimize energy use. NAHB green certification and Energy Star standards as well as attention to land use.
Our Review of "Celebrate" by Del Webb (This is a review we did when community first opened.)
- Legacy at Virginia Heritage at Lee's Park Fredericksburg - Price - $$ - From $240's - Gated, amenity-filled community by Ryan Homes.
- Virginia Heritage at Lee's Park Near Fredericksburg. Dolce Vita community by NV Homes.
- Turnberry East of Lee's Hill - by Hazel Homes in Fredericksburg - Was priced in low $200's. Country club style with golf, pools, clubhouse.
9538 Airdrie Lane
- Regency Park Villas Fredericksburg. by Cornerstone Homes - sold out. Check for resales.
- Retreat at Chancellorsville near Fredericksburg - Tricord Homes - single family.
- River Crossing - Fredericksburg - By Ryan Homes - Medium to large ranch and 2-story homes from mid-$200's. Walk to Central Park, the largest area shopping center. Downtown nearby and be close to Mary Washington Hospital. Great location! 5810 Spring Arbor Lane
- Falls Run by Del Webb - Sold Out - near Fredericksburg - maybe resale.
(Resales may be available in new communities not yet sold out.)
Independent Living Communities
- Chancellor's Village
Fredericksburg - By Senior Lifestyle Corp - - offers retirement living and assisted options. Unique programs include Wellness program, Dining for Wellness and Brain Health. Housekeeping
12100 Chancellor's Village Lane
- The Hidenwood Retirement Community in Newport News, VA - Independent and assisted living options - choose the services you need in this popular community.
50 Wellesley Drive, Newport News - Phone: 757-930-1075
- Ashby Ponds - Ashburn - By Erickson - Enjoy independent living in apartment-style homes for 62+. Entry and monthly fee.
What is Considered Northern Virginia?
The 55+ communities on this page are in the Northern Virginia area. It is a widespread area spreading out from DC. The terrain can be anywhere from city, suburban, to rural; it's very mixed. The cities closest to Washington, DC in Virginia are Arlington, Alexandria, and Falls Church. They are upscale and trendy and have an urban feeling. A little farther from DC and more suburban is the Ashburn area. In relaxing rural areas are towns like Fredericksburg, Stafford and others. Many communities have close access to transportation hubs which makes it easy to get around.
Retirees who want to live out of the DC area but close to family that live closer to DC, or the many cultural, entertainment and dining options of Washington, DC, can find retirement communities within an hour's drive.
There are other areas of Virginia that are good for retirement as well. See the separate pages for Williamsburg, Richmond and Virginia Beach. Virginia is a large state with large areas of open space and a wide choice of communities with different retirement lifestyles.
Newest Communities in Northern Virginia
|1. Regency North||Ranch homes/Fredericksburg/High $300's||More|
|2. Montebello||Singles/villas//Sterling/$600's|| More|
| 3. Archer Square||Condo homes/Brambleton/$400's|| More|
|4. Four Seasons at Virginia Crossing||Condos/Villas/Woodbridge/$300's||More|
|5. Carter's Mill||singles/villas/Haymarket/$400's||More|
|6. Regency at Belmont||Ashburn/townhomes/$700's||More|
|7. The Flats at Montebello||Sterling/condos/$400's||More|
Most viewed on this page:
- The Atrium
- Birchwood at Brambleton
- Regency at Ashburn
---Added Coming 11/12: The Flats at Montebello in Sterling (Coming)
---Added New 1/3/22: Regency North in Fredericksburg; Archer Square (5/2022)
---Changed Status to New from Coming 11/12: Montebello in Sterling large townhomes; 11/12/21: Regency at Belmont in Ashburn; Flats at Montebello 5/2022
---Added to Last Chance to buy 11/12/21: The Atrium of MetroWest in Fairfax - now starting in $600's. 1/3/22: Barley Woods in Fredericksburg - only a few remain 5/22
---Added to Sold Out list in 11/12/21: Celebrate in Fredericksburg by Del Webb
---Prices Changed 11/12/21: The Atrium at MetroWest - Was in $400's now starts in $600's--almost sold out.