Retirement Communities South
Find charm in the South...
Retirement communities in the south may include your favorite southern state here. Also check the southeast or southwest page as categories overlap. Not many communities here, however, one will find many independent senior living communities with an active lifestyle.
When from the South, chances are the person thinks there is no better place to live than in the South. Modern ways may be changing this unique heritage and culture. There is a constant influx of people from different parts of the country. They are coming for jobs in its modernizing and up-trending cities and entertainment and Southern food in its smaller towns.
Arkansas | Louisiana | Alabama | Mississippi | Oklahoma
I have been here many times and love downtown Hot Springs for its bath houses, massage and mineral water for a relaxing time. The downtown is naturally quaint and charming but now they have updated it with appealing modern shops and amenities for tourists and residents. The area has many attractions and things to do in this warm rejuvenating environment and climate.
- Hot Springs Village Retirement Community in Hot Springs - This is one of the largest and most popular retirement communities. Since 1970 in the Ouachita Mountains. Variety of homes in every price range from affordable to affluent. 20 minutes to downtown Hot Springs. 26,000-acre resort and retirement community with stocked lakes, 9 golf courses, canoeing, water ski. They have their own police and fire. They even have a small RV park. 895 DeSoto Blvd.
Little Rock Area
- College Square Retirement Community - Rural Conway 35 miles to Little Rock - For 55+ Owned by Univ. of Central Arkansas in Conway - month-to-month rentals and no buy-in fee. Meals and housekeeping services. Apartment homes of varying floorplans. College Square Retirement Community
- Harding Place - Searcy near Little Rock - Independent living units - month to month rentals near campus of Harding Univ. Harding Place
Other areas of Arkansas:
- Legacy Village - Bentonville - Northwest Arkansas - for age +62 - Entrance fee.
- Southridge Village - base of Sugarloaf Mountains -
- Heber Springs - Independent living - condominiums or patio homes
- Fountain Place Cherokee Village, Ark - Independent living in the Ozarks. Senior apartments with Flexible Services Program. 22 acre campus. Christian retirement community.
- England Oaks - Alexandria - By Front Porch - Used to be a military base - 182 independent living small homes - large mature trees - low maintenance community in the country. Month-to-month rental homes. 6596 England Dr., Alexandria - 800-786-6257
- Willow Lake Shreveport - Northwest Lousiana - Gated upscale and downsized homes. Willow Lake
- The Bluffs Country Club and Golf Resort - This is not an age restricted community. It is a master planned resort community. I am listing it because there are not many planned communities for over 55 in the state. The Bluffs has many amenities for an active retirement. Arnold Palmer Golf. Trails, wildlife, ponds, creeks. 14233 Sunrise Way, St. Francisville The Bluffs Country Club and Resort
Alabama may become more popular for retirement because of its low cost of living, mild climate and beaches on the Gulf Coast. But also consider Birmingham in the central portion where the University of Alabama is located with its outstanding medical centers, library system, and healthy lifestyle. Property taxes are low and no state tax on income from military and government pensions. (Please verify all information.)
- Danberry at Inverness - Hoover in Birmingham area - While this community has independent living, assisted living and more living options there is an active adult community for purchase homes starting from low $300,000's (verify). There are also independent living rentals. An active adult lifestyle can be enjoyed with all of the outstanding amenities and services. Danberry at Inverness
- Springs at Greystone - Birmingham area - These apartments are not for over 55 but have many of the features of one: Gated, good value, flexible lease terms, nature trail, clubhouse and pool, business center with free Wi-Fi and computer, pet spa area and more. Springs at Greystone
- The Villas at Timbers Edge - Started in $220's - low maintenance with community center and pool.
1 Timbers Main, Brownsboro - 256-512-5667
Lake Guntersville By Riverside Properties - Scottsboro in Northeast corner -- country ambience - not designated over 55 but looks like a retirement spot - we are listing it because of the lack of communities in Alabama - lakeview lots and access to lake - Custom homes and Mediterranean style architecture with Old South French Spanish and Italian designs with Tuscan towers and roof top terraces -- hillside community. Exercise facilities, walking trails, pool, boat ramp, fishing, hiking and more.
- Capstone Village Tuscaloosa at the University of Alabama - university town with all the amenities of this lifestyle of continuing education. Apartments and garden homes even accommodations available for guests. And, of course, free auditing of classes when available. There are also other lifestyle options and programs with the University's medical center. Please verify what programs there are. No large entry fees and rental options.
601 Fifth Ave. East, Tuscaloosa - 800-799-5099 Capstone Village
- Bellaton by Freedom Homes in Daphne - Geared to active adult. Medium to spacious 3-bedroom homes from very low $200's. Clubhouse, lagoon pool, lake and more.
9795 Bellaton Ave., Daphne - 251-990-9410 - Open Daily
Foley (Between Mobile and Pensacola)
Attention: RV Enthusiasts
- Reunion Pointe - New RV port homes - an entire community with RV ports by Bella Terra. They have a visit program so you can try out the new concept. Only 45 homes targeting the baby boomers. Near Gulf of Mexico. Foley, Alabama - 800-506-9824
Independent Living - Birmingham
- Town Village Vestavia Hills - Birmingham - Independent living studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments - Walk to shopping and restaurants. Amenities include indoor pool, gardening area, trails and much more -- an elegant lifestyle.
2385 Dolly Ridge Rd., Birmingham - 205-979-2702
- Galleria Woods - Continuing care community by Brookdale - On 20 acres in Riverchase area. 1 or 2-bedroom apts or garden homes.
3850 Galleria Woods Rd., Birmingham - 205-286-9729
Independent Living in Northport near Tuscaloosa
- Brookdale Place Northport - (formerly Merrill Gardens in Northport) Near Tuscaloosa in Northport - Independent, assisted living and dementia care. Activities.
951 Rose Dr., Northport - 866-672-9762 or 205-330-1700 (direct)
There are 20 certified retirement cities. These cities have been screened by officials from the state for criteria that would make a good place to live when you retire. You can see the list on the Visit Mississippi website. They stress the mild 4-season climate, lower cost of living, and low tax rates that make this state a good retirement choice.
- New Hernando West - This nature-themed master community is planning to have a 50+ (verify age limit) adult village among its 4 villages with 300 acres of green space. You can walk to the Village Center for shops and gathering spaces. A Greenways Trail for walking and biking will connect the neighborhoods. Homes will be detached singles or condos in elevator buildings. You can call 215-491-6900 for more information.
- Century Oaks Biloxi - Over 55 luxury manufactured home community. Covered carports and patios. Gated. Minutes to beaches on Gulf Coast, shopping and golf courses in the area. Near Keesler Airforce Base. 1718 Pass Rd. - 877-902-1480 or 228-435-0055
- The Oaks at Parkview - Low maintenance active adult community of one-story homes in greater Memphis area. Started from $120's.
8895 Oak Branch La. - 662-890-6780
Methodist Senior Services has ten campuses in Mississippi:
- Trinity Place Retirement Community Columbus - Methodist Senior Services has ten campuses in Mississippi.Independent living apartments and cottages (at selected communities) - Also assisted living and nursing services available in studio apartments. Ideal for a variety of lifestyles. 300 Airline Rd., Columbus - 662-327-6716
- Traceway Retirement Community Tupelo - Methodist Senior Services community of independent and assisted living homes of cottages and apartments. You can enter under the continuing care agreement with entry fee and monthly fee or the rental agreement with no entry fee. See their website for all of their locations throughout Mississippi. Traceway Retirement Community
The Villages of Tupelo:
- The Villages of Tupelo - an active adult lifestyle can be enjoyed here with several villages and The Village Club for an array of amenities and activities. There is a village lake. Mississippi Homebuilders voted this subdivision of the year. 662-842-9596
- Camellia Place at The Villages - gated for 55+ - 7 floorplans with luxury features. See The Villages, above. Sold out now.
A Coastal Choice - Waveland, Ms.
- Sea Song at Gulfside - a 55+ continuing care community at all-age Gulfside - entry fee and monthly fee - Gulf views from lanais and patios. 10203 Highway 63, Waveland - 228-467-4200
- Town Village Tulsa - Independent living community of apartments and lots of amenities.
8222 S. Yale Ave., Tulsa - 928-493-1200
- Touchmark at Coffee Creek Retirement Community with Assisted Living - Edmonds, Okla - Life Enrichment and Wellness Director. Within planned community of Coffee Creek. 25 acres.
- Brookdale Statesman Club - Independent living retirement community - apartments - meals, housekeeping and more included in fee. 10401 Vineyard Blvd., Oklahoma City - 405-293-5325
This is where you are:
Best Guide home