Retirement Communities in Massachusetts
Jump to Content
Retirement Communities in Massachusetts are surrounded with history. They center on historic towns and activities that have endured through the centuries. Horseback riding centers, Boston seafood restaurants, quaint towns, New England autumns, ponds, and famous universities.
Retirement here can be citified or countrified--your choice--but some of the best offer both choices with towns located within 30 minutes to Boston.
Newest 55+ Communities in Massachusetts Chart
|NAME||Location/Start Price||Link |
|1. Regency at Glen Ellen||Millis/$700's/$800's||More|
|2. Enclave at Boxborough||Boxborough/$700's||More|
|3. Emery at Coldbrook Crossing||Sudbury/Upper $300's||More|
|4. Preserve at Emerald Pines||Metheun/$600's||More|
|5. The Willows at Boxford||Boxford/$800's||More|
|6. Enclave at Hudson||Hudson/$700's ||More|
|7. Enclave at Tyngsborough||Tyngsborough/$700's ||More|
|8. Upton Ridge||Upton/$500's ||More|
More new communities in Massachusetts in Boston area:
Retirement communities in boston area
North of Boston
Andover - 23 miles to Boston
- $400,000's Riverside Woods - For age 62+ by Pulte - The elderly may enjoy the elevator buildings with secured access - Wooded trails to Merrimack River. Price range from $400's-$700's for small to large homes. 459 River Rd., Andover - 978-705-4606 - Open daily by appointment. Almost sold out.
Boxford - 25 miles to Boston
- $800's New The Willows at Boxford - 81 Willow Rd., Boxford - Sign onto VIP List now from their website - Luxury community with amenities - Carriage-style townhomes By Toll Brothers.
Metheun - 30 miles north of boston
- $600,000's Preserve at Emerald Pines - Methuen - By Toll Brothers - Townhomes from $600's - 5 Dove Lane - 978-557-5511 - Open Daily
North Reading - 20 miles North of Boston
- $400's Martins Landing - Spacious 1- and 2-bedrooms in condo buildings - 200 Martins Landing Way, North Reading - Starting priced at $400's. Appointments recommended - Open Daily by Pulte. 978-925-3283
Northwest of Boston
Boxborough - approx. 30 mi.
- New $799's Enclave at Boxborough - Carriage-styled townhomes with resort amenities priced from $799's by Toll Bros. - 101 Wheeler Dr., Boxborough - Middlesex County - 978-451-1550 - Open Daily
Hudson - approx. 30 miles to Boston
- $700's New Enclave at Hudson - By Toll Bros. - only building 64 spacious to large single homes for seniors 55 plus - clubhouse, pool, fitness - area golf courses - shopping and restaurants within 3 miles - pricing from $739's - 2 Barnes Blvd., Hudson in Middlesex County - 855-999-8655
- $700's New Enclave at Tyngsborough -Small 55+ community in great location. 1- and 2-story spacious and large single homes perfect for retirement living near shopping and dining in Burlington or tax-free shopping in New Hampshire minutes away. Planned clubhouse, pool, fitness and future community gardens and pickle ball. Adjacent to city park for walking trails. 52 Sherburne Avenue - Priced from upper $700's.
Southwest of Boston
Feature: 2 collections of townhomes and ranch and 2-story single homes
Contact: 4 Glen Ellen Blvd. 774-993-3030 - Open Daily 11-6
Fitness Activities: Clubhouse, pool, bocce, pickle ball, tennis; nearby golf - In Millis by Toll Brothers - Townhomes and single-family homes in a 55+ resort community - Two collections: Start prices for townhomes is $700's; start pricing for villa homes (single homes) is $800's - 844-834-5263
- $400,000's Pennington Crossing - Walpole - 1 and 2-bedroom condos starting $400's. Walk to MBTA for 20 minutes to Boston - By Pulte - appointment recommended - Last section now - 1000 Pennington Dr., Walpole - 508-658-9371
- North Hill - Needham - 1 and 2 bedroom luxury condominiums in award-winning Massachusetts retirement community with continuing care - 17 miles to Boston with many supportive wellness programs - for age 65+ - Entry fee and monthly fees. 865 Central Ave. - 781-444-9910
West of Boston
- Upper $300'sNew Emery at Coldbrook Crossing: Pulte - Sudbury (Boston area). Start price is high $300's. There is a 1-bedroom plan for $399,995. Quality finishes. 38 North Rd. Call to arrange a virtual or in-person appointment. 978-363-6564 (talk or text 7 days a week)
- $300,000's Chauncey Lake
- Westborough By Del Webb. 1 and 2-bedroom condos starting low $300's. Overlooks 400 acres of open space - 11106 Peters Farm Way - Appointments recommended - 508-252-8852
Independent and assisted living
- Brooksby Village at Peabody near Boston - by Erickson - 62+ age limit - 3 multi-million dollar clubhouses - Swimpool and fitness center - Woodwork Shop - TV Studio - 5 restaurants and cafes - Free shuttle system - Brooksby Village by Erickson
- Springhouse Independent and Assisted Living in Boston area.
Boston area resale communities
- Adams Farm - Check with local Realtors for resales - Shrewsbury 40 mi. west of Boston - 90 units - Gold Street and Memorial Drive (Route 140) Price: $$$$$
- Autumn Ridge Farm - Ayer - Price: $$$ - Small to medium homes with garage - maintenance-free community by Gillis Homes - Nearby commuter rail to Boston - Skiing in area - close to shopping and medical - Walk trails and pond on site - Open and spacious with views - Community Center - 502 Autumn Ridge Drive, Ayer (Groton area) 45 Minutes to Boston.
- Beechwood Village - Marshfield Ma - 79 semi custom homes - Resales
- Brierley Pond Village in Millbury - Near Auburn central Mass near Worcester - 43 miles to Boston - newer attached homes w/garages - Overlooks Brierley pond - townhouse-style units - wooded setting - within 15 minutes to Grafton MBTA station for commute into Boston.
18 Brierly Circle, Millbury
- Brooksmont by Pulte in Holliston - Small community of 66 attached medium to large luxury homes in great commute location. Near 495, Route 9 and commuter train to Boston. Garages and basements. Walk trails, community garden. Started $400-$500's. 415 Concord St., Holliston
- Canton Point - By Pulte - Spacious 2 BR/2.5 BA townhomes on a wooded waterfront - golf courses in area - Started $500's. 475 Turnpike Rd., Canton. See Realtors for resales.
- Carriage Hill Circle - 25 minutes west of Boston - Old Town, Southborough - near 9 hole golf course - Town named a top best place to live.
- Dudley Brook Preserve - Sudbury - Award-winning 26 townhomes now sold. The Green Company - chefs kitchen. Were from $600's. Tall Pine Dr.
- English Commons at Topsfield - 24 miles north Boston - 49 spacious luxurious condominium homes are sold out. Gated with traditionally styled architecture. Many amenities and extras. 12 Boston St., Topsfield
- The Esplanade - Hudson - 140 condominiums in low rise buildings priced in upper $100's and up. 508-528-3500
- GreatBrook - Norton - Award-winning community of attached homes completed in 2005. See local Realtors for resales.
- Hatter's Point Condominiums - 55+ condos with water views minutes from downtown Amesbury started in high $500's. Beaches minutes away. Quaint shops and restaurants in Amesbury. Also see Marina at Hatter's Point. 60 Merrimac St. (45 minutes to Boston)
- Highcrest at Meadow Walk - By Pulte in Sudbury - Commute to Boston 20 miles away - storied condo building with small to medium homes started in upper $300's. 4 Farmstead Lane, Sudbury
- Highcrest at Meadow Walk - Townhome Collection - By Pulte in Sudbury - Small collection of large townhomes. 4 Farmstead Lane - Started $700's.
- Highland Meadows Weston - Upscale area and luxury home community of single-family and town homes on 44 acres of prior wooded estate.
Modern construction is coupled with low maintenance for a fresh look with classic design and New England ambience. The area is serene and relaxed suburban very close to city of Boston and area attractions. Meetinghouse with all the amenities. Tennis and walking trails. 44 acres and planned 69 homes and town homes. Views. 1846 Farmhouse restored on property. See local Realtors. Pine Summit Circle, Weston by Pulte in Holliston - Miles of hiking and biking trails - Convenient to major roads and beaches. From mid-$400's. Quaint downtown and called a best place to live. 1830 Washington St., Holliston
- Holliston Woods by Pulte in Holliston - Miles of hiking and biking trails - Convenient to major roads and beaches. Started from mid-$400's. Quaint downtown and called a best place to live. 1830 Washington St., Holliston
- Lanterns at Warren Woods - Ashland - Detached condominiums. Meeting house, pool, trails and more. Started $400's. 5 Fern Crossing
- Mascuppic Village - Sold out - See local Realtors - Very close to New Hampshire and Nashua, NH - large villa attached homes with luxury features started $370's - 780 Nashua Rd., Dracut - 36 miles north of Boston
- Patton Ridge - Hamilton by CP Berry Homes - Only 12 large homes on the historic Patton Homestead in Hamilton. Also, an equestrian area. 978-887-
- Pheasant Hill - 35 miles to Boston - 48 one and two-bedroom condominiums with hilltop views - Small to spacious floor plans in elevator building. 35 miles to Boston. Priced in $300's. Resales.
490 Main St., Northborough - 508-667-4696 (Realtor)
- Quail Ridge
Sold out - 25 mi. to Boston - by Pulte - Price: $$$$$ - Spacious 2-bedroom single homes
and townhomes (some 2-story floorplans) in historical location with
country ambience. Amenities include 9-hole golf adjacent, clubhouse,
tennis, outdoor pool and more. Started: $500's - 354 Great Rd., Acton -
See local Realtors
Red Mill Village Norton Ma By award-winning Thorndike Development - Village Green concept of Traditional Neighborhood Design offers charm just like a New England village of yesterday but with the most sought after interior and exterior features and options.
Preserved forest land is included in the 53 acres. 156 homes and condominiums. Spacious attached 2-bedroom homes started in low $300's and detached 3-bedroom homes started in the upper $400's. Winner of 8 NAHB awards.
Read the Expert Interview about Red Mill Village
- Reading Woods - Sold Out. 10 miles north of Boston - Small to medium size 1-2-bedroom homes in low rise buildings started in upper $300's. Clubhouse, fitness, underground garage and walk paths. By Pulte. 55 Jacob Way
- Regency at Bolton by Toll Brothers - Townhomes in mid $300's - Toll Brothers Massachusetts luxury retirement home community. Resales
- Regency at Emerald Pines -
Methuen - By Toll Brothers - ranch and 2-story homes with luxury
amenities. Large 2 and 3-bedroom homes. Pricing started low $500's.
28 Pine Tree Dr., Methuen
- Regency at Methuen The Meadows collection - gated community of townhomes. By Toll Brothers - from low $300,000's - resales
- Regency at Methuen-Villas Collection - about 30 miles to Boston - near new retail village "The Loop" - started from mid $300's - Energy Star Certified (verify)
- Regency at Stow - Middlesex County - singles and townhomes by Toll Brothers. Resort amenities. 29 Miles to Bostom - Started from mid-$400's. 242 Boxboro Rd., Stow
- Rockland Glen Rockland - 22 miles southeast of Boston - 60 luxury medium and large condominium townhomes on 65 wooded acres by custom builder - 2 BR/2 1/2 baths with many luxury features such as gas stove - Price: $$$-$$$$ started in the upper $300,000's - low monthly condo fee - 2 miles to Rte 3 and 21 miles to Boston. Marrocco Builders. 414 Hingham St. - 781-243-9262
- Rolling Green at Topsfield - North Shore area - A low maintenance community of 30 large homes in 15 duplex buildings by CP Berry. Homes feature fireplaces, master suite on first floor, and bedroom on second floor. Open spaces, walking trails and gathering spots. Near shopping, medical, Boston, Southern New Hampshire and Maine. 470 Boston St., Topsfield
- Springhouse Pond Condominiums - Sudbury - near quaint town center of Sudbury and easy commute to Boston - popular community of cluster townhomes - small upscale - Since 2002 - covered porches, open floor plans with great rooms.
- Stone Castle Estates - Sold out. Gated upscale single homes in the Merrimack Valley in Methuen, 30 miles north of Boston - Low maintenance community. Ranches or two-stories. By Ronald W. MacLaren. 978-687-8484
- Spyglass Landing - See local Realtors
- Village at Ames Pond Stoughton, Ma - suburban town 20 miles from Boston with access to commuter rails. Resales - see local Realtors.
- The Village at Old Mill - 2 bedroom homes started from upper $200's. Small to large floor plans. Suburban community in a rural area of New England ambiance. 24 miles to Worcester. 2 Kimberly Lane, Westminster
- Village at Maple Ridge by Applewood Construction - (28 miles to Boston and near New Hampshire border) 72 single-family spec homes and lots - high $300's - The development is on 100 acres and also includes estates (sold) and apartments - Old Tyng Rd., Tyngsborough
- The Village at Raymond's Creek in Georgetown, Ma - 30 miles to Boston - Luxury homes By Gillis Homes - Off Rte 95 exit 54B on Raymond Court. See resales.
- Chatham House - By Wise Communities - 500-600SF 10 unit 1-BR co-op - elevator bldg. - monthly fee for services and amenities. Walk to quaint town and shops. Dining room for chef-prepared meals. On-call staff. Rentals.
- Park Place - By Wise Communities - 29 2-bedroom condominiums plus monthly fee for amenities. Walk paths through gardens, exercise room and more. Chef prepared meals in dining room. Priced in $400's (verify).
- Oak Point - Hometown America manufactured homes in a country club lifestyle. Two outdoor pools and indoor pool. Clubhouse, tennis courts and social activities.
200 Oak Point Dr. - 508-923-0002
sold out in coastal area
- ARIA at Hawthorne Hill - Sold - On the North Coast approx. 20 miles above Boston. Townhouses started in upper $500's. Luxury features and views. Clubhouse, pool, grandchildren's play area, walking paths and more. 100 Kirkbride Dr., Danvers
- Great Island at The Pinehills by Del Webb within master planned community of The Pinehills - At Plymouth surrounded by natural woodlands and premium lots with ocean vistas of Plymouth Bay. Variety of homeplans and 600 homes to be built. Fishable lake, Fitness Center, Game Rooms, water/marina, trails,boating, golf, outdoor heated pool, started from $277,900 and up. Price: $$-$$$ - 60 golf courses within this area. 15 minutes to Cape Cod and 40 minutes to Boston. 26 Valley Front, Plymouth - Sold Out
- Ocean Meadow - One left or sold out - located 5 miles to Newburyport area - Price: $$$$$ - Upscale community on 29 acres by Gillis Homes - 56 Spacious townhomes with lofts for guests/office space - Community garden for residents - Starting in mid-$500's. Located on Rte 113 (exit 57 off Rt 95).
- The Melrose of Harwich Port - 29 low maintenance 2 bedroom-2 bath condos in elevator building, some with garage parking. By Wise Living. Rear courtyard. Chef prepared meals in dining room. Concierge. Currently sold out.
601 Rte 28, West Harwich, Ma.
- The Nautilus at Woods Hole by Wise Communities - elevator condominiums. Will overlook Little Harbor and Vineyard Sound. Sold. 508-540-3700
- Orleans Place- sold out- By Wise Communities - Low maintenance community in elevator building. 41 condo residences on lower cape. Concierge. Built in 2005. 18 West Rd., Orleans
- Seaside at Scituate Location: Scituate in Plymouth County
Feature: Townhomes; some with ocean views Contact: 148 Hatherley Rd., Scituate -
Fitness Activities: Clubhouse, pool, Lifestyle coordinator, Fitness Center, Bocce Ball, Event Lawn By Toll Brothers - Pricing was $1 Mil's for 55+ townhomes. There is an all-age estate collection.
- Toll Brothers at the Pinehills - Skipping Stone neighborhood - Plymouth - By Toll Brothers - Resort community of 40 award-winning single homes from low $800's. Pinehills Golf Club. Pools, tennis, walk paths and more. Not 55+ but active living. 24 Skipping Stone, Plymouth
- Sawyer's Reach - Sold out - By Thorndike - Similar story to Summer Reach community. Was priced from $300's. Saltwater pool, walking trails on nearby conservation land, and more. Homes have vaulted ceilings (verify all information.) 800 Colony Rd., Plymouth
- Southport - Mashpee - Award-winning community of 2-bedroom, cape cod-styled attached homes. New homes added. Started from $400's. 10 Atlantic Court, Mashpee
- Summer Reach - By Thorndyke - Sold out - another great community of singles and attached homes were from mid $400's. New England traditional design and one mile to Plymouth. 100 attached homes and 14 condominiums. 249 Summer St., Plymouth - See local Realtors
- Village at West Gloucester - Cape Ann - Luxury homes community near Wingaersheek Beach. Beautiful New England architecture using shingle-style, common to New England coastal homes. Energy Star. Very large homes designed to accommodate your large furniture pieces collected over the years. Price: $$$$$$ Started at $599,000 and up. Tuscan arches, molding, eyebrow windows give 19th and early 20th century ambience. Boston is a 45-minute drive or commuter rail ten minutes away.
- Whitestone Village - Sold out - 100 small to medium condominium homes on 30 acres by Gillis Homes - Community Center
central massachusetts (suburban and country)
- $500,000'sUpton Ridge - Upton - 2-bedroom townhomes - scenic area - Adjacent to 18-hole golf course - 11 miles to Worcester - Starting price $500's - 1 Shannon Way - 508-938-6700 - Open daily or by appointment
Resales in Central Massachusetts
- WestRidge - Hudson - Sold Out - Award-winning community by Thorndike Development - condominium community with Village Green - Metrowest intersection - 135 2 and 3 bedroom spacious attached and detached homes - attached homes started upper mid-$300's.
Property is a traditional design neighborhood bordering Assabet River and open space. Many walk paths, clubhouse, pool and more. 6 WestRidge Rd., Hudson
- Angell Brook Village - West Boylston near Worcester - mid-$200's price range - Senior amenities nearby. 2-bedroom homes with energy features and low condo fees.
- Blue Heron Pond - Lancaster (oldest town in Massachusetts) - townhomes with rural character in area of equestrian estates - golf course within 2 miles of community with "Senior Season Pass."
- Country Club Acres - Worcester Start low $300,000's - 508-898-0055 (office) 508-326-0812 (cell) Ansari Builders (Boston Metrowest)
- Salisbury Hill - Worcester - spacious homes - country club style with pool in midst of city of Worcester - enjoy a city life with a nature backdrop - 1 hour to Boston - 727 Salisbury St., Worcester - Resales
- Summerfield at Foxboro - Foxboro - singles with that feeling of the past - 35 min to Boston Sold out. Summerfield Properties - Energy features
- Summerfield at Grafton by Summerfield 55 and better homes Blackstone Valley - new - just 25 homes - Sold Out
- Summerfield at Taft Hill - Uxbridge, Ma. - Summerfield Communities - 2 BR/2 Bath singles, 2-car garage with Energy Star features - classic small quaint New England town near Worcester - historic town offers country living with lots of open space for hiking, biking, hunting, horseback, fishing - 557 acres of land in town for activities - the large historic buildings in town are kept up by the Historic Society. Energy Star rated. Priced in $300's. See Realtors for resales.
- Seasons at Salisbury Holden, Ma - Central location but close to Boston. 2 BR floorplans - only 91 homes. See Realtors for resales
- The Residences at Robbins Brook Acton, Ma from $300's Resales
- Trail Ridge at Harvard - Harvard, Ma - Not the university - another small country town in the heart of Massachusetts horse country (Central Massachusetts) - equestrian facility nearby - Price: $$$$ - From $400's - 40 acres of 52 homes - only 24 are age-restricted.
- Twelve Oaks at Stafford Hills Leicester - Gated community of duplex homes, wooded ambience. Clubhouse, pool, walking trails, putting green. $200,000's--good value retirement homes. Sold out.
- Farmers Row Adult Community Lunenburg, ma - This complex consists of only 18 units of 2 BR's/2 Baths on one level, condo development with garages, basements, decks on ten country acres. Resales
- The Village at Meadowwood Chelmsford, ma 71 units near U of Mass, Lowell, Ma - resales only beautiful upscale home community.
- Village at Westminster Place -
Holden, Ma - central Mass - blended family concept - One member 55+ -
Single 3-4 bedroom, 2.5 bath homes - Were priced at: mid-$300's. New
England contemporary-styled. North of Worcester between Salisbury St.
and Rte 122A
More resale Retirement Communities in Central Massachusetts:
- Meetinghouse at Stow 34 Meeting House Ln Stow,ma - (978) 823-0600 - 75 units - built 2004 - resales - 2br/2ba condos w garages - planned community activities near Bolton and Marlborough (near military bases)
- Oakridge Estates - Leicester - Emerson homes - Small to medium-sized homes - walk trails and open space - designed to be New England Village style. See local Realtors for resale. Were priced in $300's (verify). 1B Swanson Rd., Auburn
Words for the Ages:..."And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you...ask what you can do for your country"...John F. Kennedy, Senator from Massachusetts and President of the United States.
- Zain Ridge at Milford - 2 br detached condos of singles - check status of community with local Realtors - resales
- Northbridge Condos on Spruce Street - Northbridge ma Attached condos in $200-300's range - 2BR ranch-style w/garages resales
- Daniel Drive condos in Oxford - "only over 55 community in Oxford" - was in $200's ranch-style attached w garage near Pine Ridge Country Club.
- Highland Village Paxton - Ranch-style duplex homes wih garages, basements - in $200,000's range - Built in 2009 - Resales
- Mark Circle Rutland 2 br/2ba ranch-style condos with garages newer small community of 22 units near Worcester central ma - In upper 100's kitchen appliances energy star rated (please verify for individual homes)nearby horse facilities (verify)
- Orchard Meadow Shrewsbury, Ma - built 2004 in $300,000's range - resales - 2br 2 l/2 ba condos - spacious homes
- The Villages at Crane Meadow 2 br 2 1.2 ba townhouse style newer condos in $200's w garage - Deerfield Run, Marlboro (bet Worcester&boston) Some upscale amenities available: gas fireplaces, hardwood floors,basements,front porches, cathedral ceilings.
- Faxon Farm Shrewsbury near Stow - upscale - Wolf range and subzero in kitchen(verify) Very spacious 2 BR condos On Patriot Lane since 2005 Worcester County - resales
- Crescent Gate Active Adult Community Fiskdale - large 2BR homes in $300's verify - resales
- Kenneth Village Upton MA $359,900 - very small only 8 units - minutes to 495 route. Master suite with vaulted ceilings.
- Juniper Hill Uxbridge Ma - 60 units neighborhood sensitive community - In $200,000's range
- Concord Court Webster - duplexes
- Hillside Village West Boylston - energy efficient features
independent/assisted living in central massachusetts
- Meadows Estates - Marlborough - The Meadows CCRC community for independent living and New Horizons for assisted living on a 30-acre campus. Adjacent to Marlborough Country Club and surrounded by conservation land (verify) - Indoor pool and more. Low entry fee.
400 Hemenway St., Marlborough, Mass. - 508-460-5200
- NewBridge on the Charles - Dedham - Harvard Medical School affiliate - CCRC commute distance to Boston - various housing options and financial plans - choose rental and no entry fee or entry fee and monthly fee. Beautiful 162-acre campus with many amenities for continuum of care. By Hebrew Senior Life. A unique feature is for intergenerational experience - an elementary school is on campus where the senior residents can volunteer.
5000 Great Meadow Rd. (2nd driveway for Independent living) - 781-234-9020
- Orchard Cove - Canton - Award-winning CCRC and Independent living south of Boston - Entry fee and monthly fee - rates posted on site - Harvard Medical School affiliate which means you can use their doctors (geriatrics) or your own. Indoor swim pool/Jacuzzi, garden beds, art studio, woodshop, tennis, walking, beauty salon and more. Fee includes one meal/day, housekeeping and more.
One Del Pond Dr., Canton - 781-821-1730
- Waterstone at Wellesley - Independent and assisted living on the waterfront.
Gourmet dining, elegant residences, indoor pool, concierge, and more. Urban environment - walk to restaurants, hospital. 1 and 2-bedroom apartments.
23 Washington St., Wellesley, MA. - 781-235-1614
Most visited on this page:
Back to top of page
- Riverside Woods - Andover
- Chauncey Lake - Westborough
- Emery at Coldbrook Crossing - Sudbury