55+ Communities in South Carolina
This page has over age 55 communities in South Carolina. Also see the page for all ages but good for retirement in South Carolina and Myrtle Beach 55+.
View Larger Map
Summerville - country relaxed living (27 miles to Charleston)
- The Ponds: A master planned community where you can find new homes or choose your lot and build your own. Picture moss-draped oaks. 25 miles to Charleston.
Cresswind Charleston - Photo by Kolter Homes
Cresswind Charleston - Photo by Kolter Homes
FEATURE: In master community The Ponds; Gated
CONTACT: 467 Hundred Oaks Pkwy, Summerville - 888-476-3017 - Open Daily
Award winning homes by Kolter Homes - In master community The Ponds of 1000 acres and moss-draped oaks | Clubhouse and pool | Focus on fitness with a full fitness center, onsite YMCA and proposed aquatics | Walk trails, rec fields, ponds and fishing, activities and more | 2 and 3-bedroom medium to large single homes starting mid-$200's. | Farmhouse Social Center.
467 Hundred Oaks Pkwy, Summerville - 888-476-3017 - Open Daily
FEATURE: Lakefront 55+ Community; Gated
CONTACT: 109 Magnolia House Dr., Summerville - 866-823-8852 - Open Daily
By K Hovnanian. | Centered around a lakes system with boating, boat ramp and storage, kayaking, fishing and more (verify). | Gated, clubhouse, pool, tennis, trails, outdoor amphitheater and more. | 11 mi. to Summerville and about 30 mi. to Charleston. | Cottage-style designs Small to large single homes from $220's.
FEATURE: In award-winning Nexton master community; gated
CONTACT: Oak Park St. and Scholar Way, Nexton Parkway, Summerville - 866-216-0136 - Open Daily
Gated community of 2-5 bedroom homes in award-winning Nexton master community. Starting mid-$200's
Resale 55 Plus Communities near Charleston
Pines at Gahagan pool
- Pines at Gahagan - Gated, boutique-size community by H&H Homes were priced from $200's. Large single homes. Clubhouse, pool with patio and other amenities. Close to shopping and restaurants. 501 Gahagan Rd., Summerville
- Dell Webb's Charleston - Summerville and 25 miles northwest of Charleston - Gated single-family homes within the master planned community of Cane Bay with miles of walking trails and many amenities - started low $200's. 409 Coastal Bluff Way, Summerville
- Carillon at The Ponds - Summerville - By DR Horton - one and two-story traditional homes in a gated community. The Ponds is composed of 1950 acres and only 850 will be built on. This is a small section of 56 homes for those over 55. Sold. Amenities include:
- 21 miles of nature trails -
- saline pool -
- Near YMCA -
- wooded areas -
3, 4, and 5 bedroom homes started high Mid-$200's.
326 Hundred Oaks Pkwy, Summerville
- Liberty Cottages at Park West - Mt. Pleasant - By Lennar. 3013 Rice Field Lane, Mt. Pleasant - See local Realtors.
- The Elms - North Charleston. Small to medium appealing cottage-styled single homes with 3 BR's and garage started from upper $100's to $200's. Former plantation. 8 mi to downtown. Resale--See local Realtors. Amenities include:
- walk paths
- electronic gated
- clubhouse and pool
- social activities
Elms Plantation Blvd., No. Charleston
Ladson near Summerville Manufactured Homes
- Ladson community by Jensen Manufactured Homes communities: Southern Palms Ladson SC - gated resale manufactured homes by Jensen Communities between Summerville and Charleston SC - Southern Palms at Ladson
Surfside Beach Myrtle Beach at dawn
Invigorating beaches along the Grand Strand, 60 miles of fun, sun, and sea.
Go here for Review and listings of Myrtle Beach retirement communities (separate page).
Also see the review of Jensen manufactured homes over 55 communities from our trip to Myrtle Beach.
south carolina coastal: the "low country"
Fact about Sun City Hilton Head in Bluffton by Del Webb: This is possibly the most active Del Webb community with over 100 clubs and organizations. See our blog about large communities. It has:
- 3 18-hole golf courses (in an area that is known for golf)
- 3 Fitness Centers
- 6 Pools
- Woodworker's Shop
- 2 Restaurants
- Road Scholar travel program
Sun City Hilton Head
FEATURE: Near beaches of Hilton Head Island; Starts very low $200's; Gated
CONTACT: 138 Kings Creek Dr., Bluffton - 877-785-8319
Over 55 new single ranch homes by Del Webb at Bluffton - $-$$ premier community in the Carolinas with wide range of prices and floor plans. Small to large 1, 2 and 3-bedroom contemporary single homes. 3 collections. Three 18-hole golfcourses. Starts $200's.
- New Latitude Margaritaville Hilton Head, SC - By Minto - New tropical escape theme - Sales office open now for Phase 1 - Models coming mid-2018. Villas and single homes medium to large - prices start mid-$200's. Planned to have 3000+ 55+ homes. Also, similar one in Daytona Beach, FL. Sales office open daily - 356 Latitude Blvd., Hardeeville, SC
CCRC Community on Hilton Head Island
- The Cypress of Hilton Head - Award winning luxury continuing care retirement community located in Hilton Head Plantation - Home ownership - Cottages, villas and apartments for 62+ - Many social and recreational activities including 3-hole golf.
20 Lady Slipper Lane, Hilton Head Island - 800-458-8585
55+ Resale Homes in Hilton Head
- The Haven at New Riverside by Del Webb - Bluffton | Gated resort community |
Approx. 500 2-3 bedroom medium to large single ranch homes. Amenities
- Recreation: Pool, tennis, fishing, Fitness, pickleball, bocce, biking and walking
- Road Scholar
- Medium sized homes started low $220's.
138 Kings Creek Court, Bluffton
- Riverbend - By Del Webb | A gated neighborhood of Sun City Hilton Head and 15 miles from Hilton Head | Large custom homes on wooded lots | 2 golf courses | access to Sun City Center amenities. Resales. 138 Kings Creek Dr., Hilton Head.
Greenville - western south carolina
More affordability in this area than other parts of South Carolina. It is about 102 miles to Charlotte, NC, and 63 miles to Asheville, NC.
LOCATION: Anderson (Greenville area)
FEATURE: Near shopping and historic downtown Anderson
CONTACT: 118 Rossmoor Court, Anderson, SC - 800-798-0616 - Call for appt
By Freedom Homes | Large 3 and 4-bedroom stylish single ranch homes starting in $220's. | Low maintenance lifestyle (verify) | Near country clubs, medical center and YMCA.
Fort mill and indian land, sc (south of charlotte, nc)
LOCATION: Fort Mill SC
FEATURE: Resort Amenities
CONTACT: 1277 Carolina Orchards Blvd., Fort Mill, SC - 866-214-9125 - Open Daily
By Del Webb | Small to large 2-bedroom ranch homes from mid-$200's | 9 models to view | Indoor and outdoor pools. | Fort Mill is near the NC border.
55+ Resale homes in Fort Mill
Sun City Carolina Lakes by Del Webb - Fort Mill near Charlotte metro area and 5 miles from North Carolina border - 18-hole golf - lakes - miles of walking trails. Single homes started from $212,999. Over 100 clubs. Five collections. 5074 Grandview Dr., Fort Mill
lancaster over 55 communities
FEATURE: Guard gated; Resort Amenities
CONTACT: 3040 Arches Bluff Circle, Lancaster, SC - 888-208-4141 - Call for appointment - Open Daily.
By Lennar | South of Charlotte | Gated community of single homes with a nature theme | Access to 10-acre lake | Lagoon and lap pools and social activities | Pricing from mid-$200's.
FEATURE: On Fishing Creek lake with marina; golf
CONTACT: 26105 Appleyard Court, Lancaster - 803-824-2900 - Open daily
By Tribute Homes. Active adult community with resort amenities currently and more planned for future - cottage-styled homes - small to medium sized homes start in mid-$100's. Near U of South Carolina with free classes for seniors (verify)
Most Popular on this page (updated quarterly)
- Edgewater The Cottages - Lancaster
- Pennington Farms - Anderson near Greenville
- Lakes at Cane Bay - Summerville
Related pages for South Carolina
See the Myrtle Beach Retirement Communities page
South Carolina communities with no age restriction
Also, see Best Guide's blog about the Charleston Tour of historic homes.
Looking for horse communities in South Carolina?
Over 55 South Carolina