Midwest Retirement Communities...
Jump to Content
the heartland that we love
Some popular states for Midwest retirement communities are Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana.
The midwest offers cool and crisp autumns and springs. The winters are cold and snowy with active seniors participating in cross country skiing and other rugged sports. Although known for plenty of summer humidity, there are fresh breezes at the numerous lakes. I spent childhood summers on Lake Erie so I can attest to that.
These retirement areas offer extremely modern facilities, excellent medical organizations, and numerous cultural attractions. During winter look for various indoor pools and walking tracks that provide exercise all year long. Add all of this to a lower cost of living and housing and one will see the advantages of a midwest retirement.
The midwest states have large populations of baby boomers who want to stay close to family but also like a low maintenance lifestyle (usually including snow shoveling). This gives more time for an active retirement and social activities.
Coming to the Oakland County Area:
5 New Communities for Seniors
New: The Moceri Companies has a long-range plan for this area of southeast Michigan. Numerous senior communities in Oakland County will be built over the next ten years. Soon one in four residents of the County will be 55+ and there is a need for this type of development. Thus far some have started construction:
In Auburn Hills:
- Blossom Park - Coming to Optimist Rd., Auburn Hills
- Villa Montclair - 88 elegant detached homes; clubhouse, pool, walking trails, community garden and more. 3999 Ashton Dr., Auburn Hills, Mich. Selling fast.
- Verandas - By Moceri Companies - golf -
33203 Maple Lane Dr., Sterling Heights - 586-795-4000
- Blossom Springs - N. Adams Rd., Oakland Township
Senior Community Planned for Rochester:
- Planned community coming near Royal Park Hotel, University Dr.
Verify all information with Moceri, the builder, and sign up for updates on their website.
Resale 55+ communities in detroit area:
- Bridgewater by Del Webb In Brownstown, MI by Del Webb and about 30 minutes south of Detroit -
2 and 3-bedroom singles ranging in size from small to large. Started in
$230's and up. The amenities include 2 beautiful pools and stocked lake
for boating or fishing. 24315 Bridgewater Way, Brownstown SOLD OUT - Check for resales
- Grand Reserve by Del Webb - Southeastern Michigan at Grand Blanc north of Detroit and
near Flint. Four collections of 2 and 3-bedroom homes and villas starting at $300's. Room to roam
and a play area for grandkids. Lodge community center with pool,
business center, activities and more. 6286 Merion Lane, Grand Blanc - SOLD OUT - Check for resales with local Realtors.
continuing care, independent, and assisted living communities in detroit area:
- Henry Ford Village in Dearborn - Apartment style living - 1 meal included in monthly fee -
Activities, amenities and more. On the grounds of the Ford Family
Farm. Excellent health care center and programs for residents or
15101 Ford Rd., Dearborn - 877-6601807
- Fox Run at Novi by Erickson MI - for age over 62 - One
and two-bedroom apartment homes. Continuing care community for
Independent living with assisted living available if ever needed.
Deposit and monthly fee. 41000 13 Mile Rd., Novi - 800-573-2285
Many Illinois retirement communities are located around Chicago for retirement or commute to work.
- Carillon at Cambridge Lakes - Active adult resort community - By DR Horton - 2 and 3-bedroom ranch homes and villas from $200's. Approx. 48 miles to Chicago (1 1/2 hour drive).
1920 Andrew Blvd., Pingree Grove - 847-984-4872
- Regency at Bowes Creek Country Club
- Gated by Toll at Elgin - Carriage Collection - town homes (sold) and
single-family - start upper $200's. New town home single level floor
plan. Good commute location near metro. On-site golf. Townhomes sold
out - now selling single homes.(verify information)3841 Valhalla, Elgin -
- Regency at the Woods at South Barrington - By Toll Bros. - gated community of large luxury homes and resort amenities from mid-$500's. Social Director and activities.
Ph: 847-381-6600 - 24 Arches Ct., So. Barrington
- Carillon Club - By DR Horton - Variety of homestyle from condos to spacious singles - condos from mid $100's (verify) - Amenities include clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, fitness, 3-hole golf and more. Selling fast.
4027 Idlewild Lane, Naperville - 847-984-4857 - Open Daily
- New Ashwood Crossing - Small Pulte Homes community of single ranches and duplexes - 15 minutes from downtown Naperville - minutes from Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve for hiking - Starting low $300's - Closed Thurs/Fri - open other days to view model - 3363 Empress Dr., Naperville - 847-603-2917
ccrc's (continuing care communities) in chicago area:
- Monarch Landing at Naperville - by Erickson at Naperville - Naperville was ranked second in places to live by Money Magazine. 35 miles west of Chicago.
- Vi at The Glen
at Glenview on Chicago's north shore. (Formerly Classic Residence.) Part of upscale
master-planned community with access to parks, golfcourses, restaurants
- Bethany Retirement Community in Chicago This is a very active and independent community that is also
continuing care. You'll enjoy jaunts into downtown Chicago and
location near Lake Michigan. Studio and one bedroom apartment homes.
- The Mather in Evanston
- Award-winning Continuing care community (CCRC). Luxury community of
apartment homes offers concierge, restaurants, educational programs and
located near Northwestern University, saltwater pool, therapy pool,
fitness center, sauna and steam and much more.
urban low maintenance resale community in glenview:
- Patriot Commons at the Glen - Luxury townhomes in Glenview, Illinois by
Toll Bros. Not age restricted but has features good for active
lifestyle such as walkable, shopping, low maintenance - Good commute
location with metra 5 minutes away - Start upper $400,000's. Sold.
2633 Commons Dr., Glenview 60026 - 847-998-0400
chicago area resales (check with local realtors):
- Carillon Club - By DR Horton - Variety of homestyle from condos to spacious singles - condos started in mid $100's (verify) - Amenities include clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, fitness, 3-hole golf and more. Sold fast.
4027 Idlewild Lane, Naperville
- Meadowridge Villas - Sold out - 56 duplex homes by K Hovnanian in Fox River Valley - Medium to large 2-3 bedrooms with 4th bedroom an option - one and two-story homes - adjacent to golf course. Amenities at Prestbury include clubhouse, pool, tennis, 3 lakes, and more. Natural settings and maintenance-free. Started mid-$200's.
1175 Woodridge Dr., Sugar Grove
- Grand Haven - developed by Lakewood Homes and Del Webb In Romeoville. Active community minutes from I-55 for visiting family. Resales.
- Edgewater at Elgin by Del Webb - Sold out. 2 and 3 bedroom homes started low $200's to high $300's. Enjoy an elegant gated entrance which winds up to the community and Lodge. Many amenities such as pools, tennis, Fitness and more. Traveling to downtown Chicago is convenient and nearby shopping. 2550 Edgewater Dr.
- Grand Dominion - By Del Webb - Sold out. Exclusive Chicago suburb called Mundelein - 320 acres, 100 acres of which is open space and includes 13-acre lake. (verify) All the wonderful Del Webb amenities such as the Lakeside Lodge. 2-3-bedroom homes. Started low $200's.
3540 Melody St., Mundelein
- Shorewood Glen - by Del Webb at Shorewood. - Gated and patrolled ranch homes started upper $100's. Top amenities package as would be expected from Del Webb. Heated indoor and outdoor pools. Chicago is one hour away. Also near Naperville and Plainfield.
1415 Justice Ct, Shorewood
Other Areas of Illinois for over 55:
- Andare at Remington Pointe -
Volo, approximately an hour to Chicago (verify). Low maintenance
ranch-style homes from mid-$200's. Within 4 miles of Chain-O'-Lakes
Marina and Round Hill Metra. Clubhouse, fire pit, walking paths. Near
golf clubs. By Lennar. 1838 Alta Dr., Volo - 815-900-9770 - Open Daily
- Andare at Woodlore - Crystal Lake - Ranch homes by Lennar from upper $200's - 1027 Honey Locust Dr.
- Andare at Glenloch - Algonquin - Singles by Lennar from mid-$200's - 7 Mahogany Court - 224-293-3126
- New Andare at Talamore - Huntley - Ranch homes by Lennar - WIFI Certified - Smart homes -. Start $200's - 11849 Hubbe Ct. - Open Daily - 224-293-3126
- Crossings at Geneva In
picturesque Geneva. The tri-city region is known for quaint shops and
upscale shopping. Traditional-styled brick and stone condominiums with
many upscale features. Nearing closeout. 1, 2 and 3-bedrooms in
elevator building. 9-foot ceilings. 2676 Stone Circle - 630-845-0591 -
Hurry! See close-out pricing.
ILLINOIS RESALES IN OTHER AREAS:
- Luther Village - Arlington Heights - co-op ownership - Fitness, pools, scenic, community center. On campus with Lutheran Home. New and resales from $100's.
- Sun City Huntley - by Del Webb at Huntley - Premier midwest active adult community - award winning resort-like. Luxurious entrance with cascading waterfalls, gently rolling prairies. Prairie Lodge offers almost every amenity imaginable. Resales.
- Talamore Andare - Huntley - By Ryland Homes (Now CalAtlantic) - This active adult community will attract the grandchildren with its kids pool, waterslide, fishing pond and more. Recreation, huge clubhouse, outdoor pavilion. Ranch homes started mid-$100's.
11912 Hollister Ct., Huntley
independent living apartments for seniors:
- Brookdale Edina - Edina - by Brookdale Senior Living - Independent living apartments. There is also assisted living and memory care should the need arise. Modern high-rise living with pool, walk trails, bistro, dining room and more. Landscaped with numerous trees and gardens.
3330 Edinborough Way in Edinborough Park (Indoor park), Edina
resale communities in minnesota:
- Villas at Rush Creek
- Sold Out - By Lennar - Medium to large 2-bedroom single homes started
mid-$300's - Near Rush Creek Golf Club and shopping. Pool, clubhouse,
tennis and more. 7550 Rainier Lane N., Maple Grove
- Four Seasons at Rush Creek by K Hovnanian - Sold Out. Maple Grove by K Hovnanian - Resort-styled with pools, clubhouse,
saunas and more. Medium to large floor plans with many flexible
options. Golf clubs in area. Started low $300's. 7550 Rainier La. North
- Coming Dublin Suburbs - By 55+ builder Traditions of America - Suburban resort community - Sign up now on VIP List for updates.
central ohio resale 55+ communities:
- Pioneer Ridge - Sold Out - at North Ridgeville - Cleveland area - first Del Webb community in Ohio. 1 and 2 bedrooms from $140's - Pools, hot tub, amenity center. 9464 Saw Mill Dr., North Ridgeville
Not over 55 but low maintenance patio homes in Central Ohio by Dominion Homes:
- Grand Reserve at Reynolds Crossing - Reynoldsburg east of Columbus by Dominion Homes. 2 and 3 bedrooms started low $100's. Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd., Reynoldsburg
- Grand Reserve at Haydens Crossing -
Between Dublin and Hilliard by Dominion Homes with many recreational
opportunities within the community. Easy access to freeway, YMCA and
- Grand Reserve at Albany Crossing - By
Dominion Homes at Westerville and New Albany in Central Ohio. Small
town living and city conveniences. Free-standing homes offering 4-season
rooms and small yards.
southern ohio ccrc:
- Bristol Village
in Waverly - Adams County near Columbus and Cincinnati areas - Tree
lined streets -
Continuing care community for independent and assisted living - Active,
independent and affordable - entry deposits start $70,000 (verify) and
monthly fee; homes and apartments, fitness, activities, quilting group,
And for area information go to www.adamscounty.org
northern ohio 55+
- New Four Seasons at Chestnut Ridge
- Resort Lifestyle for 55+ in Elyria - single homes and amenities by K
Hovnanian Homes. From low $200,000's - Chestnut Ridge Rd. and Bender
Rd., Elyria - 866-601-9464
Good value in Lorain near Lake Erie:
- Morningside at Martin's Run -
Lorain - 5 minutes to Lake Erie - By K Hovnanian - Price: Start $200's
- 2 pools, clubhouse, fitness, tennis, putting green and much more. 2-3
bedroom single homes in scenic area of pond, walking trails, and nature
reserve. New Phase starting.
3392 Robin Lane, Lorain - Ph: 440-282-2934 - Open Daily
- The Gardens at Morningside by K Hovnanian starts $200's. Cottage-style single homes. Resort amenities.
3665 Morningside Way - 440-282-2934 - Open Daily
independent living for seniors in northern ohio
- Copeland Oaks
at Sebring. Church-related. 35 minutes to Akron. CCRC with no entry
fee but monthly fee. (verify) Apartments and villas and assisted
River falls resale community:
- High view Meadows Parkway - by Lennar at River Falls - started Low $200's - Resales - See Realtors in the area.
Touchmark West Prospect - Active retirement community with Wellness program in Fox Cities. 2601 Touchmark Dr., Appleton.
- By Del Webb in Plainfield, a suburb of Indianapolis (17 miles) -
amenities include clubhouse, pool and more. Pricing starts
mid-$100's. 5266 John Quincy Adams Ct., Plainfield - 888-548-3665
- Britton Falls - by Del Webb at Fishers. - 1100 projected homes with "greater Indianapolis as backdrop." Community Center offers indoor pool, Fitness complex, 15 surrounding lakes, 335 acres. 100 acres of open space (verify). Eleven floor plans - small to medium size homes starting in low $200's. Phone: 866-334-9322 - 15305 Trebbiano Dr., Fishers - Open Daily
- University Village Condos At Anderson University
- Crown Pointe at Anderson - condos, apartments, villas, assisted living building - At Anderson University (There is also an affordable housing option) - 2727 Crown Pointe Circle, Anderson
continuing care (ccrc) community in indianapolis
Marquette Manor - Indianapolis - For 62+ - Continuing care community (CCRC) on 48 acres - wooded grounds.
8140 Township Line Rd. - 317-875-9700
Warm and cozy seating area at Concordia Senior Living
- Concordia Senior Living - Oklahoma City - Life Care - Independent living with assisted living if needed. Entry fee and monthly fee.
7707 W. Britton Rd. - 888-258-4649
by Primrose - town homes and apartments for independent
and assisted living - month-to-month leases after first 3 months - nurse
- Spanish Cove - 191 apartments at Yukon in metropolitan Oklahoma City - 12 acres -
fishing, water, marina, pools - Continuing care community.
- Touchmark at Coffee Creek at Edmond - also assisted living - Touchmark is proud of its
resort-like atmosphere at their community of homes and apartments in a
top retirement town. They are part of the Coffee Creek master planned
community and offer a Wellness Center and more.
Wesley Life has the following communities throughout Iowa for independent living and may include assisted services:
- Wesley Park Centre - Wesley Services at Newton - also continuing care.
- Edgewater at Tallyns Reach By Wesley Life - West Des Moines - part of master planned community.
- Halcyon House in Washington, Iowa
- Heritage House in Atlantic
- The Village in Indianola
- Hearthstone in Pella.
- Tallgrass Creek - by
Erickson - Overland Park
Lake St. Louis resale:
- Heritage of Hawk Ridge - Lake St. Louis Missouri - By Del Webb - Started $200's. 9-hole golf and pro shop, clubhouse and more. 204 Pigeon Dr., Lake St. Louis MO - SOLD
Kansas City Area - john knox village in lees summit:
- John Knox Village - at Lee's Summit - "Midwest's largest retirement community" - approx.
400 acres - 1500 homes - 70 different floorplans. Independent living;
also assisted living and health care services. Variety of affordable
housing options from new single-family homes to apartment communities
and more. Financial options include one with a deposit and one for leasing with no deposit.
1001 NW Chipman Rd., Lees Summit, Missouri
- Forest Lake On campus of John Knox Village in Kansas City - See their community
of Forest Lake of villas and apartment homes in a nature setting.
- Stonebridge Village & Resort Branson West. Luxury homes in Stonebridge - Resale condos and homes. Not designated just for over 55. We list a few of these that seem right for retirement and this is one.
The state known as missing the recession...
- Touchmark on West Century - By Touchmark Living Centers - at Bismarck and Fargo locations in North Dakota. Independent living homes and apartments and assisted living available.
1000 W. Century Blvd., Bismarck - Call to Tour - 701-516-8518
- Sunnycrest Retirement Village Sioux Falls - apartment homes with no entry fee - month-to-month lease -
optional noon meals for extra fee - smoke free community Faith-based -
market rate apartments with reasonable rents with some subsidized. Many
- Primrose - Sioux Falls - apartment living with activities and amenities for an
active senior lifestyle - Independent and assisted living if needed. 7400 Louise Ave. - 605-789-5180
- Washington Crossing - luxury apartment living includes some meals, housekeeping and more.
There is no required entry fee but there is an optional home purchase
plan. Rates are listed on website. See community for details. 4709 E. 6th St., Sioux Falls - 605-271-9273