Southern California 55+
Photo Credit: HealthyHappyLife.com
...Southern California 55 communities start with the Central Coast..San Luis Obispo--the midway point on the Coast between
Silicon Valley and Los Angeles --
View Larger Map
Newest 55+ Communities in Southern California
|1. Highgate Regents||Bakersfield/$200's|| See More|
|2. Olvera at La Floresta ||Brea/$900's||See More|
|3. Castillo at Travata||Villages of Irvine/$700's||See More|
|4. Ovation at Flora Park||Cypress/$600's||See More|
|5. Cortina at Terramor||Temescal Valley$400's||See More|
| 6. Del Webb Rancho Mirage||Palm Springs Area/Upper$300's||See More|
| 7. Retreat at Holiday||$300's||See More|
| 8. Altis||Beaumont/$300's||See More|
| 9. Verano||Santa Clarita/$500's||See More|
Central Coast-Southern California
Towns in this area
San Luis Obispo
| Pismo Beach
| Arroyo Grande | Nipomo
| Paso Robles
| Santa Maria | Oceano | Santa Barbara
New Construction Communities
Photo by Trilogy® at Shea Homes - Monarch Dunes Resort Club, The Monarch Club
- Trilogy® at Monarch Dunes
1465 Via Vista, Nipomo
Ph: 800-685-6494 - Best to call first for appt.
From $600's - (Workforce Housing now available from $500's-call to find out more.)
Resort Lifestyle Community
Resort living by Shea Homes® open to all ages. Near coastal beaches - Adelina's Bistro features local organic produce. Sandalwood spa. Innovative open floor plans with optional casitas in some - California indoor/outdoor living, golf community, vineyard home sites, and many fitness activities. Single family detached and attached homes from $600's.
- Monarch Ridge Town Homes at Monarch Dunes - Workforce Housing Town homes available now from the low $500's. Call to find out more!
Resale in the Central Coast
- Traditions at River Oaks - Gated Paso Robles - small town living in the award-winning community of single homes - 30 minutes to the Pacific ocean. 805-226-8236 (Homeowners Assoc.)
Independent Living Communities in the Central Coast:
- Vista Del Monte
- Independent living community in Santa Barbara by Front Porch.
Studios to 2 bedrooms. Monthly fees or Entrance fee plus monthly fee
plans. Meals and services. Santa Barbara is a sophisticated lifestyle
by the sea.
- Villa Santa Barbara - Independent living with assisted living option. Studios and one-bedrooms. Rooftop has ocean view. Restaurant-style meals. Individual mailboxes. Downtown.
227 E. Anapamu St., Santa Barbara - 877-931-4369
Los Angeles - Los Angeles County
- New Verano - Award-winning gated community by Pardee Homes In master community Aliento - single homes priced from $500's - Resort amenities at The Club at Verano.
18711 Alara Lane, Santa Clarita - 661-369-8370
- Galloway at Five Knolls - In master community Five Knolls - $500's - Large homes with space for entertaining, etc. - Amenities include gated, clubhouse, pool, fitness center and more. Next to YMCA and Senior Center.
20568 Galloway Dr., Santa Clarita - 888-292-6593
..areas of LA have too much traffic for many seniors (the city of Los Angeles is the second most populous city in the U.S.), but if one retires here, the climate cannot be beat.
Santa Monica, an area of LA County on the west side near the beach, is a terrific place to retire partly due to its excellent bus system and being able to walk to shopping and dining. The public beaches are nearby for sunning, jogging and biking with trails that run alongside.
Resale in Los Angeles area:
- Teramachi in Los Angeles - In Little Tokyo, area in downtown Los Angeles, at 3rd and San Pedro Streets - Newer luxury condominiums for 55+ - resales only - Price: $$$-$$$$.
- Sol y Mar Villas
5601 Crestridge Rd., Rancho Palos Verde
949-269-2410 - Shown by appointment
55+ Town homes were from $799,000
This is a desirable and rare location on the coast by Taylor Morrison. Gated luxury villa town homes with views. SOLD OUT
Independent Living in Los Angeles area:
- Motion Picture and Television Fund Retirement Community - Woodland Hills - A special community for retired members of the entertainment industry. In addition to independent living, assisted living and memory care are also available. For eligibility requirements call 323-634-3866. MPTF Retirement Community
- Villa Gardens in the city of Pasadena - Apartment-style units. Amenities include social activities. It is a continuing care
community (CCRC). Entrance fee or month-to-month option with no entrance fee.
- Claremont Manor - Independent living by Front Porch - Month to month plans - 5 colleges in area - Huge variety of accommodations - One and two bedrooms. Also cottages, duplexes and villas.
650 Harrison Ave., Claremont - 909-626-1227 ext 6135
- Kingsley Manor - By Front Porch for 60+ - Independent living with no entry fee - Studios start $2725. (verify) with housekeeping and linen service (verify). Also assisted living and skilled nursing. Studio, 1 and 2-bedroom plans. 323-661-1128
- Walnut Village - Entrance fee - cottages and 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. There is a designer kitchen plan. Services. Lifelong learning center with classes.
- Summer House at Walnut Village - For memory care for a loved one. Month-to-month.
891 South Walnut St., Anaheim - 866-983-6763
- Fountain view at Gonda Westside - CCRC that is entirely rented out with wait list (verify). Join the wait list with deposit. Pool and more resort amenities. Short walk to restaurants and shops. By Los Angeles Jewish Home. Independent living with assisted services if ever needed. Near airport and Marina del Rey.
12025 Waterside Dr., Suite 105, Playa Vista - 424-216-7788
Perfect day at Malibu
Also see apartments in Los Angeles for seniors.
Orange County (below LA County)
| Redondo Beach
| Rancho Mission Viejo
| Seal Beach
| Laguna Beach | Huntington Beach
| Laguna Woods
| San Clemente
Orange County is the smallest county but is the 2nd most dense in California. Source: Wikipedia
New Construction Home 55+ Communities in Orange County
Large homes in gated master community. Walk to new Whole Foods Market (verify).
- Village Travata by Lennar in Villages of Irvine master community with 3 neighborhoods within Travata Village now selling:
- Castillo - Courtyard homes from $700's
- Aldea - Townhome/Condo/Flat from mid-$600's
- Palencia - Single Family homes from 1 Million+
Entrance at Ridge Valley and Carlow, Irvine - 866-879-4064
Villages of Irvine is one of the best-selling master communities in the U.S. according to surveys.
- New Castillo at Travata - Luxury courtyard homes in Irvine starts $700's. 77 attached and detached small to spacious homes by CalAtlantic in gated community in Villages of Irvine master community. Clubhouse, saltwater pool, dog park, social activities and more. 312 Carlow, Irvine - 949-234-7880 - Open Daily
- New Aldea - 1 and 2-bedroom attached homes from $600's
- New Palencia - Spacious single homes from 1 million
- New Ovation at Flora Park - By William Lyon Homes - One and two-story paired homes and single homes in a small community. Clubhouse, pool, social and recreational activities. Near Disney and ocean amenities. Paired homes start $600's. Single homes start $700's.
4643 Luna Ct., Cypress - 714-761-7931 - Models open 10-6 Daily
See the Review
- Sea Summit - On the ocean bluffs by Taylor Morrison Homebuilders. 300+ homes across 4 neighborhoods (verify) in Spanish-style architecture. Not age-restricted. The town homes neighborhood, Sea Summit Aqua, starts from 1 Mil+
121 Via Galicia, San Clemente - 949-269-2217 - Final homes selling now - Call for appointment only
- Breakwater Village - Redondo Beach - 171 condominiums By Anastasi Development - 1, 2 and 3 bedroom floorplans - pool
2750 Artesia Blvd. - Ph: 310-542-6040 - Shown by Appointment
Rancho Mission Viejo
Rancho Mission Viejo- Newest phase is called Esencia - See our complete review
- Rancho Mission Viejo - Gated - Two different lifestyle areas - one for over 55 called Gavilan. Builders include Shea Homes, Del Webb, Standard Pacific and more. See new phases called Esencia.
See our review of Esencia at Rancho Mission Viejo.
Ortega Hwy and Antonio Parkway, San Juan Capistrano - Phone: 877-226-0482
Vida model home
- Vida at Esencia - In Rancho Mission Viejo - Del Webb - Other plans are medium to spacious and priced in the $600's-$700's. Classic ranches. There is a unique feature called a Cafe within the floorplan with sliding door to outside patio. Kitchen with very large "island" workspace.
127 Luneta Lane, Rancho Mission Viejo - 866-889-7850 - Call or email
Alma model home
- Alma at Esencia - Rancho Mission Viejo - Large 2-3 bedroom classic ranch homes starting in $700's-$800's. One plan has 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Enjoy the amenities at Rancho Mission Viejo in this Del Webb community.
121 Luneta Lane, Rancho Mission Viejo - 866-362-8444
See our Esencia review of these and other communities in Rancho Mission Viejo for more 55+ communities.
Resale in Orange County
- Rancho Mission Viejo - Gated
- Two different lifestyle areas - one for over 55 called Gavilan. Builders include Shea Homes, Del Webb and Standard Pacific. (All sold out)
See new phase in RMV called Esencia comprised of three new neighborhoods. (See our review of Esencia for new homes at Rancho Mission Viejo.
- Leisure World Seal Beach - Gated
Seal Beach - This is the original over-55 retirement community by Ross
Cortese. It is a large community of
mostly co-ops (not allowed to be financed by LW) and some condos. Very
few rentals. Resales start low $100's.
Resale homes of a variety of styles and price
ranges with outstanding amenities and activities. Amenities include
Southern California coast is nearby. There is a sales office on the
site. You can also contact a local Realtor.
Ph: 562-598-1388 (sales office on site) - 1901 Golden Rain Rd.
- Huntington Landmark - Gated Huntington Beach - Large older community with amenities - walk to beach, shopping, restaurants. Gated with roving patrols. Social activities.
20880 Oakridge Lane - 714-960-5475
- 18900 Delaware St., Huntington Beach - Small community of 53 units. Walk to shopping and restaurants. Beach 3 miles. 3 levels with laundries on each floor. Gated parking. 1 and 2 bedroom units. Elevators. Economical pricing. Verify info. See local Realtors.
- Laguna Woods Village - Gated
Older very large community with resales - high rise condos with meals
and housekeeping, co-ops and singles. Their tours are scheduled on
Thursdays. Call 949-597-4360. Ten minutes to ocean. 24351 El Toro Rd., Laguna Woods - 949-597-4443
- Bay Cliff Village - San Clemente - Older (since 1963) cottage-styled,
single-level homes by the Pacific Ocean. 29 homes, some with lots and
room for garden. See local Realtors.
Towns in the area: Rosedale, Greenacres, Oildale, California State U
Near Sierra Nevada mountain range.
- New Highgate Regents - Westside living by Castle & Cooke from low $300's. Gated single homes.
14407 Rokeby Way, Bakersfield - 661-829-1775 - Open Daily
Resale in Bakersfield
- Four Seasons at Bakersfield - Gated by K Hovnanian - Price: $-$$ - inland location from Los Angeles - single family homes and resort-style living. Sold Out-See local Realtors - 6311 Barcelona Drive
- Brighton Parks - Gated 2 and 3-bedroom medium to large detached ranch homes by Castle & Cooke - designed to be park-like in garden setting. Started from low $200's. Clubhouse, pool, Activity Director. 12412 Abercromby Dr.
- Solera Kern Canyon - Bakersfield by Del Webb - near mountain ranges
and Kern River for outdoor recreational pursuits - many amenities for
active living. Resales only.
- The Greens at Seven Oaks - Gated - Part of Seven Oaks master community - Adjacent to Seven Oaks Country Club for golf and resort amenities - ask about special pricing at the country club for The Greens (verify) - The Greens has its own clubhouse, pool and resort facilities. Medium to large single homes with luxury features.
2903 Rose Petal St. (clubhouse)
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Cities in the area: Some of the best values for retirement communities in Southern California are in these areas: Beaumont, Hemet, Menifee, Murrieta, Cherry Valley, Apple Valley, Loma Linda, Lake Arrowhead, Bloomington, Corona, Ontario, Riverside, San Jacinto - Also see the Palm Springs Area (separate page)
Hemet and Beaumont: Hemet and Beaumont, an affordable area in Riverside County, are an easy drive to Palm Springs. The climate is cooler than the desert areas with a green countryside. This is a developing area though currently has a small-town ambiance.
There are golf courses and excellent medical facilities.
New Altis - By Pardee Homes - Beaumont - 4 collections start from low $300's - modern style - Resort living - golf courses in the area - 1555 Skystone Way, Beaumont - 951-281-8182
See the Review of Altis
- Four Seasons at Beaumont - Gated by K. Hovnanian - Price - $$ - Gated master planned community - The towns of Beaumont and Hemet are in the same area. 2-bedroom/2 bath single homes from low $300's - 339 Enchanted Park North, Beaumont, Riverside County
Open Daily 9am-5pm; Wed. 2-5pm - Ph: 951-769-4115
- Cortina at Terramor -
By Del Webb - Starts high mid-$400's - Riverside County. In master
community of Terramor. Resort amenities. Pool with cabanas.
24741 Overlook Dr., Corona - 886-337-0439
- 2-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath medium to large single ranch homes
- Terrace club for 55+
- gatehouse entry
- 3 plans
24217 Overlook Dr., Temescal Valley - 877-235-3179
By CalAtlantic Homes - Gated single homes in master community with views and resort amenities. From $500's. 24563 Crestley Dr., Temescal Valley - 888-876-1944 - Open Daily
- New The Retreat at Holiday - Menifee (Riverside County) - By Freedom Homes - Medium to spacious homes from low $300's. 108 single homes with gated entry. Pool, Rec Center, spa.
26313 Desert Rose Lane, Menifee - 951-679-1788 - Open Daily
1788 Oak Knoll Rd., San Jacinto
Active Adult Community
218 new construction medium-sized homes in gated resort community. Pool, clubhouse, tennis and more. By Crossmarket Communities.
North of San Bernardino--Apple Valley:
- Sun City Apple Valley Gated By Del Webb - Apple Valley - Price: $$ - From low $200's - large community of 2-Bedroom single-family homes with amenities, activities, golf. Lifestyle Director.
Ph: 888-246-5380 - 10750 Cumberland Court, Apple Valley.
- Esperanza - By Lennar - 3 active adult resort collections priced from $400's to $500's. They are: Modena, Tejara and Vivir. Ranch homes with mission-styled architecture. Models now open for touring. Welcome Center: 4233 E. Sonrisa Privado, Ontario (Inland Empire) - Open Daily - 888-213-1794
Resale in Riverside County
- Solera at Diamond Valley - Hemet - by Del Webb - many amenities and activities - 5 area golf courses - fishing at nearby Diamond Lake. SOLD OUT Ph: 866-765-3723 - 5542 Corte Portico, Hemet
- Four Seasons at Hemet - Retirement Community - by K. Hovnanian -
Price-$$ - Desert community fairly close to Palm Springs. Riverside
County - Excellent medical facilities nearby. Affordable area. Resales
- Four Seasons at Murrieta near Temecula - By K Hovnanian Homes - 524 homes with Lodge, amenities, clubs and social activities. Resales.
29750 Willows Ave., Murrieta - Open Daily - 909-461-0473 (H/O office)
- Highland Springs Village - Cherry Valley (Beaumont) - Known for its unlimited golf (verify) and low homeowners fees - single homes with resort amenities. Fishing lakes. See local realtors.
- Trilogy at Glen Ivy - Corona, CA - Retirement Community by Shea Homes named after the famous Glen Ivy hot springs located there - Glen
Ivy is approximately an hour drive outside of Los Angeles and 30 minutes to Hemet.
Price-$$-$$$ - 1317 Single family homes of 2-Bedrooms/2 baths. Adjacent to this community is the
internationally-known spa Glen Ivy Hot Springs offering wellness and
beauty treatments. Ted Robinson-designed golf course. Resales
only--please check with local Realtors. Trilogy Parkway off Temescal Canyon Rd.
- The Oasis - Gated Menifee in Hemet area - Desirable older gated community built by Ryland Homes with resales. Starts mid-$200's. Large community with amenities. 951-301-7466 (clubhouse)
- The Colony - Gated Murrieta in Hemet area - Large guard-gated community of 1500 detached homes. Clubhouse, Golf, social activities and amenities. Resales only start mid-$200's. 951-677-4341
- Air Force Village West - Gated Riverside - This is a continuing care community for military. You enter when you are younger and there are services available as you age, if you need them. A variety of housing types. See the Expert Interview article on this community.
Senior Apartments in Loma Linda
- Loma Linda Springs - Loma Linda - near the famed Loma Linda University - the town is all about wellness if a healthy town is your priority - Loma Linda city website - The community is 1 and 2-Bedroom senior apartments affordably priced and in an excellent location to enjoy Southern California attractions. Also, short-term furnished rentals. Ph: 866-933-1466 - 11171 Oakwood Dr.
Palm Springs Area-Riverside County
The Palm Springs area has nightlife, serene mountain beauty, very casual, not much traffic, and plenty of soothing massage. It does have a downside--the hot summers of the desert. One must have air conditioning or spend summers away. We have 2 recent reviews of communities in this area.
Map of Greater Palm Springs area:
View Larger Map
See separate page for Palm Springs and the Desert Communities Luxury 55+ Communities
Del Webb at Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs
- New Palm Springs area: Del Webb at Rancho Mirage. See the Review.
- New Caliente Springs Resort, manufactured homes community and RV park in Desert Hot Springs. See the Review.
San Diego Area
...Perfect climate, ocean amenities, nightlife make it one of the best places to retire in the U.S.
a person wants to actively exercise to stay fit in the senior years,
this may be the best place due to the year-round mild weather. A high
percentage of the population is over 55, so there are hundreds of senior
resources and excellent senior centers.
Go here for the list of San Diego Retirement Communities
Most Popular Communities on this page*
|NAME||Location/Starting Price||Link |
|1. Leisure World Seal Beach||Seal Beach ||See More|
|2. Breakwater Village||Redondo Beach||See More|
|3. Villa Gardens||Pasadena||See More|
*Based on number of click-thrus.
Also see: Manufactured Homes in California