Virginia Retirement Communities for 55+
Trilogy Lake Frederick pool and view
Northern Virginia Retirement Communities around Washington, DC -- a
fast-developing Area and within commute to DC - Keep Updated with this
Guide. There are a variety of retirement communities located
here--urban, country, large and small.
Northern Virginia 55+ Communities
With the tremendous amount of development in general going on in this
suburban area of Wash., DC, probably due to the access to government
jobs in a slower economy, we expect we may see more retirement
communities although this market has slowed for now.
The Northern Virginia area is good for those who wish to continue working or want to be close to family, but there are other areas of Virginia
that are good for retirement as well. Virginia is a large state with
large areas of open space. Our list is the most comprehensive you will
find for all over 55 communities in Virginia.
Currently Selling New for Over Age 55:
Newest Communities in Northern Virginia Chart
Prince William County (Haymarket, Gainesville, Manassas, Bristow) Shenandoah Valley Area: (Lake Frederick, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Winchester) Albemarle (Charlottesville) Loudoun County (Ashburn, Lansdowne, Gainesville, Lovettsville, Sterling) Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg)
Resale 55+ Communities:
Resale Communities (Fairfax, Prince William, Frederick, Fauquier, Albemarle, Loudoun, Stafford and Spotsylvania Counties)
Most viewed on this page
Page 2 - Williamsburg and Richmond Areas in the southeast plus Montgomery and Roanoke counties in the southwest of the state.
Page 3 - Virginia Beach
Newest retirement communities in Northern Virginia Chart:
|1. Regency at Dominion Valley Greenbriar||Low-rise elevator condo buildings/Haymarket/Low $300's||More|
|2. Regency at Creekside||Gated community of single homes//Catharpin/$500's|| More|
|3.The Village at Meadow Pointe||Villa homes/Harrisonburg/Low $200's|| More|
|4. Barley Woods||Villa homes/Fredericksburg/Upper $200's|| More|
Regency at Dominion Valley - Greenbriar Collection
Prince William County
New 55+ in Prince William County
New Regency at Dominion Valley Greenbrier - Haymarket
New low-rise condominiums in an elevator building with garages - there is an older section with resales but there is a new opening of new floor plans. From $301,995. There will be 7 buildings with 22 condos in each.
5300 Merchants View Square, Haymarket - Open daily 11-6 - 703-754-3399
- New Regency at Creekside - Planned clubhouse, pools and recreation. By Toll Brothers - Minutes from Gainesville. Gated community of single-family homes. Hiking and biking trails. From low $500's. 5570 Catharpin Rd., Gainesville, Va. - 703-520-9775
Gatherings at Wellington By Beazer Homes - Manassas - starts mid- $200's - energy star condominiums in elevator building.
Open daily at Hastings Drive and Dumfries Rd, Manassas
See our Review
New in Shenandoah Valley Area
New community in Front Royal area (Frederick County) by Shea Homes--selling now:
Photos from my visit:
Trilogy® Lake Frederick model
View of Blue Ridge Mountains
Photo by Trilogy® at Shea Homes - Lake Frederick Clubhouse
- Trilogy® at Lake Frederick in Frederick County by Shea Homes - Near Front Royal by this popular California (now national) builder. Stop by and see today. Open daily 10-5
104 Hawthorne Court, Lake Frederick - 800-685-6494
Note: 941 homes at completion. Price range: very low $300's-high $400's.
See our Review....
- The Village at Harvest Ridge - single homes start low $300's - By OakCrest Builders - traditional homes with refined touches such as brick-paved driveways and quaint street lamps. Option for 2nd floor. Age-in-place features include wide doorways and large showers.
404 Mikey Court (off I-81), Winchester - 540-450-1234
- The Village at Meadow Pointe - Harrisonburg - Another 55+ community by OakCrest Builders. Villa homes in the mid $200's. Community activities center, walking trails and views of Blue Ridge Mountains. Ten minutes to town - Pointe Dr., Harrisonburg - 540-433-6666 - By appt. only.
- Cedar Meadows - Gated community of single homes with garages - Community Center - all homes priced in high $200's.
White Oak Rd., Stephens City, VA - 540-247-8800
New in Charlottesville
Charlottesville is home to the University of Virginia. Also easy commute to Richmond.
- RoseWood Village at Wintergreen - Nellysford, VA - 27-hole Reese Jones Stoney Creek golf course. These Blue Ridge mountain villas start in $300's. Low maintenance resort lifestyle community and planned clubhouse with bistro, pool, fitness and more. Some interior maintenance included in H/O fee (verify).
100 RoseWood Dr., Nellysford - 434-361-0089
Spring Creek golf course ranked in Top 100 in country by "Golf Week"
- Cottages at Spring Creek - Wilberger Properties at
master community Spring Creek consisting of various neighborhoods most
not for over 55 but lots of nice amenities for retirees; a golfcourse
community. Lot sales. Convenient to Charlottesville and UVA and 40 minutes to
Richmond. Clubhouse now open.
Spring Creek Parkway, Gordonsville/109 Clubhouse Way (golf club) 540-832-0744 - Open Daily
55+ in Loudoun County
- Coming Birchwood at Brambleton - 55+ community - condos, courtyards and villa-style homes in this popular master community. Amenities include social clubs. There are currently no models as this community is just getting started. You can sign up on website for updates. The community is open but the new Birchwood community is not yet ready to view. No pricing yet. 42395 Ryan Rd., Brambleton - 703-542-2925 - Open Daily
Potomac Green clubhouse
Potomac Green - Ashburn - Another great resort community in upscale Loudoun County - This one of single-family homes, condos, and villas - by Del Webb/Centex. Now selling 2-BR/2 BA elevator condos from $204,990.
20580 Hope Spring Terrace #101 - 888-817-9601 - Open Daily
See our review of the original homes at Potomac Green
- Regency at Ashburn by Toll Bros - 2 bedroom/2 bath townhomes and condominiums. Attached homes with garages. Gated with resort amenities. Greenbriar collection of single level condominiums from low $300's and Potomac Collection of single homes and carriages from low $600's. Tennis, pool, hiking and biking trails.
The Greenbriar: 44589 York Crest Terrace, Ashburn - 855-298-0316
The Potomac: 44574 Rubble Terrace, Ashburn - Open Daily
- Cedarwood - Stone Ridge - By Van Metre Homes - 13 miles to Ashburn - Clubhouse, Fitness, pools, tennis. Stone Spring Medical Center. Customize in Design Studio. VIP list now. Single family homes with basements.
Across from 24636 Woolly Mammoth Terrace off Tall Cedars (but not open yet) - 703-764-5482 (Sales Manager)
- Vistas at Lansdowne by Winchester Homes - very large town homes - 3 bedrooms plus loft with first floor master - shared clubhouse with the Lansdowne Woods community but no other connection with them - area amenities include shopping, dining and more. From upper mid $500's. Planned 120 homes.
44231 Mimosa Grove Square - Open Daily 10-5 - 240-517-1050
- The Overlook at Lansdowne Woods (Lansdowne Woods was previously called Leisure World of Virginia.) The Overlook is a small selection of 7 luxury condominiums near the entrance with panorama views. 19400 Leisure World Blvd., Lansdowne - 703-724-0100 SOLD
Many of formerly-named Leisure World communities are changing their names as the brand name expires. This is a choice each community decides on. Leisure World of Virginia is now called Lansdowne Woods of Virginia (by IDI Group).
New Fredericksburg Retirement Communities
The Patio at Celebrate
Celebrate by Del Webb 11 McQuarie Dr., Fredericksburg - Price - $$-$$$ - single family homes in resort-style community ten minutes to Rappahonnock River for kayaking, hiking. Also, pool, tennis. Near Cannon Ridge Golf Club. Major shopping nearby as well as quaint boutiques of historic Old Town Fredericksburg. Now the attached villa collection from $180's. Also the Premier and Classic Collections available from mid-$200's.
This community uses the latest green features to minimize energy use. NAHB green certification and Energy Star standards as well as attention to land use. Overnight visit tour available.
Our Review of "Celebrate" by Del Webb
- Regency at Chancellorsville by Toll - Fredericksburg - Award-winning resort community of spacious 2 BR/2Ba single homes with garage start low $300,000's. Variety of floor plans. Amenities.
7305 Lee's Command Blvd. Fredericksburg - 540-785-4663
- Virginia Heritage at Lee's Parke by Lennar - Fredericksburg - Cottages are sold out but Manors and Plantations collections are available. Price from $300,000's - 3 day visit tour.
9701 Balls Bluff Rd., Fredericksburg - 877-785-3662
Now Open Barley Woods - The Villas of Fredericksburg -
By Cornerstone Homes - Medium to large homes - From $270's - 124 single level homes - Clubhouse, pool, and more. Near commuter rail station.
5223 Plank Rd., Fredericksburg - 540-699-3009 - Open Daily
(Check with local Realtors or the community builder.)
- Spring Hill Villas by Pulte Lorton Sold out Condos are adjacent to the villas (both sold out). Urban-styled condos within commute to DC (19 miles). There is a VRE commuter train in Lorton. Also Amtrak. Near the Laurel Hill Golf Club and the new Arts Complex.
Floor plans encompass fresh and new ideas. The Easton features a large great room, 2 bedrooms that are separated on either side of the unit, and a large kitchen with good counter top space.
Condos were priced from low $200's to $400,000's. All are 2 BR/2Baths (some have dens) and sizes vary. Features include pool, paths, clubhouse, visiting tot lot, fitness and more.
Only active adult community in Northern Virginia's Fairfax County.
8425 Peace Lily Court | Lorton, VA.
See our Review of Spring Hill Condominiums by Pulte
- Saintsbury Plaza - Vienna in Fairfax County - Porten Homes - condominiums in popular area with amenities. See your local Realtor for possible resales.
Prince William County
- Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club by Lennar - Resales - Gainesville (45 minutes to Wash DC) - 800 acres - Single homes in Luxury resort - Price - $$$. Large community of 2000 homes at closeout (verify).
Heritage Hunt Condominiums - 2 and 3 bedrooms
Heritage Hunt Garden - Single Homes in Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club started in $300's.
Heritage Hunt Patio Gainesville by Lennar - Single homes started in the $400's Check with local Realtors for resales.
6921 Netherstone Court, Gainesville, VA
- Regency at Dominion Valley - Haymarket - By premier builder Toll Brothers. This area is not as far as Shenandoah, about halfway between DC and Shenandoah.
Resale award-winning luxury single-family homes, patio town homes and luxury courtyard condominium homes. Designer golf course, 2 pools, winding nature trails, and grand Regency Club with dining, fitness and more. (Also see the new section above under New in Haymarket.
5505 Players Circle, Haymarket - 855-298-0316
- Dunbarton - By Brookfield Homes in Bristow. Prince William County. Single-family homes. Check for resales. Brookfield Homes is ahead of the curve for energy savings and green building. For further reading Brookfield Homes Energy Efficiency
- Hidden Brooke Springfield - Sold Out - by Providence of Brookfield Homes - condominiums - check for resales
- Liberty Grove by Airston Homes - Condominium community - Resales
- Beacon Park Condos - By Comstock Homes at Woodbridge. Condominiums. Water views, clubhouse, pool, golf, walking trails. Check status. Resales only. Ph: 703-883-1700.
- Greenspring by Erickson at Springfield - for over age 62 - apartment homes featuring refundable deposit and outstanding amenities.
- Copperidge in Culpepper - 10 minutes DC - by Engle - Resort-style, Single family and townhomes
Frederick County Resales
- Gatherings at Shenandoah - Scenic Blue Ridge Mountain Retreat near Winchester - By Beazer Homes - Frederick County - Singles and villas
- Willow Lawn Cottages - Winchester VA Resale - single homes in low $200's.
- Cross Creek Village - Winchester - single homes start low $200's.
Fauquier County Resales
- Legacy at Suffield Meadows - Warrenton Fauquier County near Historic Old Town- by Ryan Homes - Price - $$-$$$ - smaller community with nature amenities - Clubhouse, pool, walking trails. Located on Suffield Lane, off U.S. 29.
Also note: There is an assisted and independent community at Suffield Meadows called The Villa at Suffield Meadows. It has access to the amenities at the 55 community.
- Annadale - Gordonsville near Charlottesville
- Four Seasons at Historic Virginia - Near Potomac Mills at Dumfries by K. Hovnanian
- Four Seasons at Vint Hill - at Warrenton by K. Hovnanian
- Hidden Brooke In Springfield by Brookfield Homes. Resales only.
Albemarle County (Charlottesville)
- The Cottages at Jefferson Heights - Wilberger Properties - convenient to Charlottesville - 3 bedroom/2 1/2 bath luxury townhomes. Resales. Check with local Realtors.
- Four Seasons at Charlottesville By K. Hovnanian at Ruckersville - Greene County - In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains close to downtown Charlottesville - Phase one completed. If you wish to visit this community call a local Realtor for resales and status. I don't believe Khovnanian are owners currently. This is a lovely country environment with large clubhouse and miles of walking trails.
Rental Apartments in Charlottesville
- The Independence - Rental apartments - these apartment homes have many of the same amenities of an active 55 community - Large apartments. Community garden, Bark Park and more.
350 Portico Way, Charlottesville - 888-495-5786
Loudoun County Resales
- Lansdowne Woods of Virginia - (previously named Leisure World of Virginia) - Lansdowne, VA - Upscale, fast-growing area. Developer is IDI Group. Condominiums. Clubhouse features swim center and spa, multiple classrooms, rooftop tennis deck, Gourmet Stop n Shop, concierge, beauty salon and more. Golf course or river views from the $200's to the $600's. Now sold out. No new phases planned for now.
Update: There is currently a 7-unit condominium building for luxury living within the community. It is called The Overlook and is located near the entrance where there are some beautiful panorama views. (See new communities, above.) Update: SOLD OUT
Our review and photos of Lansdowne Woods in Lansdowne
- Central Parke at Lowes Island - Resort community of townhomes and condos. Amenities include clubhouse, pool, fitness center.
20799 Royal Palace Square, Sterling, Va.
- The Villages at Broadlands - Active adult community in the Broadlands master community - By Van Metre - for 50+ - luxury elevator condos with garages - 2 and 3 bedrooms with dens - up to 1700+ sq ft - started mid-$300's. 43138 Stillwater Terrace, Ashburn - See local Realtors.
- Four Seasons at Ashburn by K. Hovnanian - condominiums tucked away in great Northern Virginia location near Dulles Airport. Lots of shopping, restaurants and medical nearby. In Ashburn Village complex - Courtland Dr., Ashburn - See local Realtors.
- Heritage Highlands by Lennar - Lovettsville - 80 single level homes were from $200,000's. Mountain views. Near to MARC commuter train. Future amenities are recreation center and walking trail. Resales.
37 Harpers Mill Way, Lovettsville
- Four Seasons at Dulles Discovery - By K. Hovnanian. - Loudoun County - Townhome/Condominium minutes from Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and Dulles Airport. Luxury villas and townhomes. Neighborhood town center. See Realtors for resales.
Stafford County Resales
- Leeland Station by K Hovnanian - VRE station within walking distance - commute to DC - an age-restricted community in the development - started from mid-$200's - garden baths, gourmet island kitchens, medium to large homes. 275 Leeland Rd., Fredericksburg
- Legacy at Virginia Heritage at Lee's Park Fredericksburg - Price - $$ - From $240's - Gated, amenity-filled community by Ryan Homes.
- Virginia Heritage at Lee's Park Near Fredericksburg. Dolce Vita community by NV Homes.
- Turnberry East of Lee's Hill - by Hazel Homes in Fredericksburg - Was priced in low $200's. Country club style with golf, pools, clubhouse.
9538 Airdrie Lane
- Regency Park Villas Fredericksburg. by Cornerstone Homes - sold out. Check for resales.
- Retreat at Chancellorsville near Fredericksburg - Tricord Homes - single family.
- River Crossing - Fredericksburg - By Ryan Homes - Medium to large ranch and 2-story homes from mid-$200's. Walk to Central Park, the largest area shopping center. Downtown nearby and be close to Mary Washington Hospital. Great location! 5810 Spring Arbor Lane
- Falls Run by Del Webb - Sold Out - near Fredericksburg - maybe resale.
(Resales may be available in new communities not yet sold out.)
Independent Living Communities
- Chancellor's Village
Fredericksburg - By Senior Lifestyle Corp - - offers retirement living and assisted options. Unique programs include Wellness program, Dining for Wellness and Brain Health. Housekeeping
12100 Chancellor's Village Lane
- The Hidenwood Retirement Community in Newport News, VA - Independent and assisted living options - choose the services you need in this popular community.
50 Wellesley Drive, Newport News - Phone: 757-930-1075
- Ashby Ponds - Ashburn - By Erickson - Enjoy independent living in apartment-style homes for 62+. Coming in 2014 continuing care on site. Entry and monthly fee.
Most viewed on this page: