Retirement Communities in
The main road, Atlantic Avenue, in Virginia Beach, runs next to the
Atlantic Ocean. There is a lot of building construction of new homes
and remodeling. It can seem congested. While the directional signs in
Virginia Beach are good, you will need a map at hand if you want to get
around easily and with less stress.
Virginia Beach used to be a small town but today it is expanding, booming and becoming a "hot" tourist and retirement destination with all that implies. Large and small hotels are located along Atlantic Avenue among the homes and construction projects. We stayed at The Wyndham located on the sand.
Still it's a great place to be inspired by nature at the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The wide sandy beaches are welcoming any time of year.
It is worth the extra hotel price to have an ocean
view room to hear and see the wildlife.
The Edgar Cayce compound on Atlantic Avenue is a must-see and be sure
to have a massage and browse their library full of books about healthy
eating and living.
The main cities in the area are Norfolk,
Virginia Beach, Newport News, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Smithfield, and Hampton. And, of course, Virginia
Beach is bordered with military bases with occasional noise from the
There are retirement communities here:
On my recent trip to Virginia Beach, there was burgeoning growth everywhere.
West Neck communities (Sold out - See local Realtors):
- West Neck - Virginia Beach - Features Arnold Palmer golf course and Clubhouse for fine dining. Bike and walking trails. Near beaches, shopping and Williamsburg's Busch Gardens. Outer Banks, NC, is only one and one-half hour away.
- See over 55 communities listed below at West Neck: The Grove at West neck Virginia Beach - Chesapeake Homes - 3 bedroom, 2 bath spacious singles started from $400's near West Neck Golf Course by Chesapeake homes - sold out.
- Rosecrest at West Neck - 2912 Elegance Lane, Virginia Beach - By Chesapeake Homes - 2 and 3 bedroom cottage-style homes started from $300's. 3057 Cadence Way, Virginia Beach
- Atlantic Shores -
Virginia Beach - Hampton Roads area - Villa and apartment homes for
purchase. Villas have gas fireplaces and 2-car garage. Verify. Phase III
adding more homes.
Monthly fee includes services such as housekeeping, utilities and more.
On-site dining. So many extra amenities such as indoor pool and
woodworking shop etc.
Harbourway, a separate 53-unit assisted living building, also including a memory care unit, is now available.
Phone: 757-716-2000 - 1200 Atlantic Shores Dr., Va Beach - Call for tour.
Lifecare Community in Virginia Beach
- Westminster Canterbury at Chesapeake Bay - High-rise apartments on Chesapeake Bay - Requires deposit and monthly fee - Services include independent living, assisted living, memory care, at home care, at home health care, skilled nursing, rehab and hospice. Call them for more information and to tour. 800-753-2918
- The Retreat at Greenbriar - By Weldenfield - large upscale 3-bedroom single family homes, 2 BR/2BA quadriplexes and 2 and 3 BR townhomes - clubhouse by the lake, pool pavilion, garden plots, stocked fishing lakes and more. Social activities. Near mall. Sold - See local Realtors
1503 Carrolton Way, Chesapeake VA
- Eagle Pointe at Cahoon Plantation - Priced from $260's - Cahoon Plantation golf course is around the community - 3 bedroom collections - Cedar Rd. between No Battlefield and Dominion Blvd. Across from Tidewater Community College. Open Daily
- The Retreat at Bennett's Creek - coming to Northern Suffolk with access to Chesapeake Bay. No set date yet. By WeldenField, Developers.
- The Seasons on Lake Meade - Suffolk - 150 Murphy's Mill Rd. - nature trails, garden plots and more.
- Church Square - Smithfield - Gated duplexes, quads and townhomes by Atlantic Homes from the $260's. Jane, Abbitt Realty, at 757-593-4433.