Senior Low Income Housing
This page: East Coast
Maryland | Washington DC | Virginia | Georgia |. North Carolina | Connecticut | Delaware | New York | New Jersey | Pennsylvania | Florida | Quick Summary
Page 2 - Northern/Midwest
Page 3 - West/Northwest
Page 4 - South
Description of low income housing
Don't wait, seek help now.
There are long wait lists.
Senior low income housing is becoming more attractive and offering more amenities.
Jump to Listings (4 pages--This is page 1-East Coast.)
Affordable senior housing can be a lifesaver for seniors. Rent at senior apartments has been increasing a lot the last few years. This has disqualified persons from communities. A person shouldn't wait for another rent increase before seeking help.
Housing assistance is readily available within their county. For information and resources for all areas go to your county's local Housing Authority for HUD or affordable housing and ask questions. Your needs are very important. You want a safe and secure community as well as services, activities, and a comfortable apartment.
Seek to find an affordable place that is well-maintained, clean, quiet, and convenient. It may not be as spacious as you would like but it should be homey, cheerful and inviting. Maybe it will even have amenities and programs for residents such as transportation and activities.
Of course, you must expect a possible wait due to the huge demand for affordable senior housing in today's market. This is why you should apply as soon as possible. Go to the complexes you like and apply or to the Housing Authority in the county.
Qualifications for Senior Low Income Housing
To qualify a person must meet income restrictions HUD or affordable housing. The community reviews your income on an annual basis (the rules vary on this).
Individual communities will have different income restrictions and rules. The median income of the county will determine the amount of income restriction. The age requirement is usually 62+.
There may also be other qualifications other than income limits.
Either the community will be federally-assisted HUD apartments or affordable housing. Both have income and age restrictions. To apply call or go to your local Housing Authority.
To find more information on this subject go to Low Income Housing Description on this site.
Many people think this type of housing for seniors includes assisted or supportive living but this isn't so. In fact, it is difficult to find assisted living options in this category.
maryland (separate page)
Fall color in Maryland communities is beautiful!
Go here for Maryland
district of columbia (wash.,dc) senior affordable housing
The DC area is an urban environment with lots to do for restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, and festivals.
Victory Square | 600 Barnes St., NE, Washington DC - 202-388-3288 - Open M-F
- 1 and 2-bedrooms
- spacious floor plans -
- Award-winning community for 55+ -
- Minutes to Metro.
- Breakfast bar and pantry in fully equipped kitchen
- Emergency call system
- Laundry rooms
- Fitness Center
- Beauty Salon
- Social activities
- Bus stop 1 block
Victory heights | 1369 Irving St., Washington DC - 202-939-1431
- Near Metro
- Habitat America
- Walkin closet
- Shower Stall
- Pet friendly up to 35 lbs.
- Fitness Center
- Social activities
- Laundry Room
- 24-hour maintenance
- Allen House STUDIOS AND 1-BEDROOMS - in Northeast DC - Seniors elevator building close to shopping and metro -
- Community room with kitchen
- Gated assigned parking -
- Laundry room
3760 Minnesota Ave - Call first to see - 202-397-1862
virginia income restricted housing
Fantastic farmer's market in Arlington, Va.
Virginia has both urban and rural areas and is known for colonial design touches. It has warmer winters than Maryland and DC since it is more South.
See our blog article: a very walkable city, Arlington has outstanding amenities for seniors.
Go here for Arlington Senior Subsidized Apartments Listings and Information - separate page
Prince William County in woodbridge
Affordable Housing in Woodbridge
The affordable housing category is not federally-assisted HUD (Housing and Urban Development) apartments and generally has higher income limits. Both types of housing can be applied for at your local county Housing Authority.
Features community with *fitness center, *cozy fireplace lounge, *accessible apartments with elevator, *library, *laundry rooms, *courtyard and other amenities.
1 and 2-bedrooms - Income restriction for 1 person is currently $59,820 and for 2 persons is $68,340 - call for pricing - pets with restrictions - no pet deposit for support pets - closed Sat/Sun - 16820 Flotilla Way - 703-441-6488
- The Woods at Victoria Park Woodbridge - 55+ community of apartment homes with same amenities at Victoria Park, above. 1- and 2-bedroom apartments.
16821 Flotilla Way - 703-441-0555
- Potomac Woods - Woodbridge - Affordable housing - 3-story elevator building on wooded acreage.
Housing options include one- and two-bedroom apartments with hookups or laundry room. *Community room for social functions, and more features. Pet policy. From $1169's.
2001 Southampton St. - 703-491-9710 - Open M-F 8:30AM-5:00PM
- Olley Glen Senior Residences Fairfax - 62+ Affordable housing rents. Income restrictions. Utilities included.(verify) 4023 Olley Lane - 703-503-8717
- Little River Glen Fairfax - 62+ - 120 apartments - *utilities included - *noon meals available - *emergency pull cords with 24-hour monitoring - 703-385-3578
- Saintsbury Plaza 55+ Fairfax - Six 2-Bedroom apartments located next to Vienna Metro Station - 703-503-8700
Also see Alexandria
For complete list, see Fairfax County senior housing
- Kendrick Court at McNair Farms - Herndon - 55+ affordable senior independent apartment community for moderate income - *activities and amenities - *fitness room - *library - *game room and more. 13430 Coppermine Rd., Herndon - 844-940-0370 (Leasing)
Harbor Herndon - 62+ - 120 one-bedroom apartments located near downtown
*utilities included - *exercise room, *sitting areas and
community room in each building - *an Adult Day Health Care Center. *Herndon Senior Center is nearby.
- Lewinsville Residences McLean - 62+ - 22 efficiencies.
*utilities included *individually-controlled heat and air conditioning *shared laundry room; *noon and evening meals available *Senior Center on Site -703-914-0330
Vienna Senior Low Income
HUD Section 8
- Tysons Towers in Vienna - HUD Section 8 housing with 3-5 year wait list - Eligibility: 62+ or with a disability and income of $30K (verify all information as can change). Phone: 703-281-2080
- Lincolnian Residences Alexandria - full kitchens - private bath with shower - utilities included - shared laundry room - noon and evening meals available - Senior Center on site - Assisted living - 703-503-8700
- Gum Springs Glen Alexandria - 62+62 Years + - 60 one- and two-bedroom apartments overlooking courtyard - Personal Emergency Response System. 703-780-9072
- Morris Glen - Alexandria - 62+ 60 one-bedroom apartments overlooks courtyard with pond - includes utilities - sitting areas in each building - 703-719-7268
- New Residences at North Hill - This is not a senior only community but it is new affordable housing in Alexandria close to downtown. 279 units. 1, 2, and 3-bedrooms from $1335. Amenities include: *W/D hookups, *carpet in bedrooms and *hard surface flooring in living areas, *fitness center. Apply on their website.
7250 Nightingale Hill Lane, Alexandria
- Evergreen House - Annandale - 246 1-bedroom apts for active adults and 21 reserved for handicapped - HUD Section 8 program.
Amenities include: *elevator building, *activities, *15-passenger bus for trips and shopping *Beauty and barber shop and more. Managed by Quantum Mgmt. Apply directly with the community.
6925 Columbia Pike, Annandale - 703-941-8707
For more information on above Fairfax County low income senior residences: Fairfax County Senior Housing
Loudoun County Senior Low Incoming Housing
Amenities include: *gardening plots, *gazebo, *putting green, *library, *beauty salon and more.
Location in Ashburn Village. 20900 Runny Meade Terrace
- Cascades Village Sterling - 55+ - low income rental apartments by Humphrey Management - wooded setting close to shopping
Large management companies for subsidized housing:
- Quantum Management - See complete list of Md/VA/DC affordable-living properties managed by them.
- Jefferson Heights at Pantops Mountain for over 55 - One and two bedrooms - activities, spa and amenities - Please verify rental status. 1550 Pantops Mountain Place
1-bedroom apartments with balconies in elevator building. Wait list. 2216 Caroline St. - 540-371-4430
- Darby House - Richmond - affordable one and two-bedroom apartments for 62+ - two miles from downtown Richmond - suburban area - amenities and walking paths.
1400 Shirleydale Ave. - 804-236-8382
Woodstock (Atlanta Area)
- HearthSide Towne Lake - Atlanta region in Cherokee County - At Madison Pointe at Towne Lake development for shopping, dining, green areas and medical. 2 miles to Woodstock downtown. Independent living.
1561 Stone Bridge Parkway, Woodstock - 770-852-2225 - Open M-F
- Columbia at Edgewood: Atlanta, GA 404-681-5611
- Columbia Heritage: 1900 Perry Blvd NW, Atlanta - 404-792-7511
- Columbia at MLK Village: 125 Logan St SE, Atlanta - 404-525-3370
- Columbia Blackshear: 14 Meldon Ave SW, Atlanta - 404-525-0558
independent villas are so popular they are growing fast - buy into a lifetime lease or rent (verify). Also, nearby small assisted living complex 2945 Smallhouse road - extra fee for laundry/cleaning/housekeeping options available. By Goodworks Unlimited.
Here is a link to a large builder of low income apartments in the Triangle area of North Carolina with a great list of senior low income housing:
Madison Place Seniors - 55+ - activities - walking trail - 1 and 2-bedroom garden apartments. 4200 Forbes Rd., Gastonia
- Villas at Twin Cedars - 1866 20th Ave. - 55 plus senior living in great location. 1 and 2-bedrooms. W/D hookups and other features.
Meadowcreek Commons - Southeast Raleigh - Apartments aided by federal stimulus. Nearby shopping and many amenities. Green community.
- Woodhawk - 55+ 1 bedrooms *single level with patio in $600's and 2 bedrooms in $800's (subject to change) - *On-site laundry - *activities - *pet policies
1836 Eaglecrest Circle - 252-442-9240 - Open M-F
Also, in North Carolina, the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency Portfolio site mentions senior low income housing which includes the following:
- Kensington Gardens in Shelby | Steele Creek Seniors Apartments in Charlotte | Grayson in Hickory | Baytree Apartments in Richland | Gateway Village Senior Apartments in Gastonia | Creekside Crossing in Spindale (energy star certified) | Battery Park Senior Apartments in Asheville and more.
connecticut affordable housing
Try the City of New Haven for listings in New Haven. Here are a few:
The Carabetta property management company has rental listings throughout Connecticut. See their website for more.
- Howard Apartments by Renaissance Mgmt. You can call the property mgmt company for more. 203-777-1875
- Dunbar Residences by Elderly Housing Management at 83 Fair Haven.
- Laurel Commons I & II - Laurel, Del - cottage-style one bedroom apartments for 62+ - Income limits apply.
Affordable housing on Long Island
See a complete list of affordable housing on Long Island (Separate Page)
New Rochelle in the Hudson Valley:
- Garito Manor at Union Square - New studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. Concierge service, 24-hr. security, meals, housekeeping, fitness, beauty salon, restaurant. Income restriction up to 60% median income for Westchester County.
wilder balter communities in new york
The following affordable apartments are by award-winning Wilder Balter Partners (Ph: 914-347-3333):
- Brookview Commons - Deer Park, LI, NY (see Long Island affordable)
- Creekside - 26 Campsite Way - Warwick - 64 apts
- Hughson Commons in Carmel - 4100 Gables Way - 94 1 and 2 BR's
- Stonecrest in Carmel, NY, 136 affordable units
- Jacobs Hill - 5000 Jacobs Hill Rd., Cortlandt Manor
- Stone Hill in Washingtonville - One Stone Hill Rd. - 104 units
- Hearthstone in Goshen - 19 Quarry Rd. - 5 historic buildings
- Heritage Point in Hyde Park - Staatsburg-on-Hudson - 6 Anderson School Rd. - near Hudson River - 1 and 2 BR's - Renewing residents must complete yearly income verification.
- Hillcrest Commons - 3101 Heights Lane, Carmel - 845-256-8630
- Huguenot Park - New Paltz - 45 N Chestnut St. - 1 BR's
- Mamaroneck Towers in Mamaroneck - 233 halstead Ave. -studio and 1 BR's
conifer senior living in new york
Also see Conifer Senior Living: See many senior apartments listings by Conifer Living - Go here for their New York portfolio listings.
- Juniper Manor I and II - Trumansburg Village - Pay 30% of income (verify) - 60 apartments; transportation.
- Newfield Garden Apartments - Ithaca - For 62+ - 28 1-bedroom apartments for seniors - transportation available.
See Ithaca Housing
Ithaca farmer's market
See our review of the city of Ithaca, New York - We visited and found this a charming town for retirement in upstate New York.
The following senior apartments with income restrictions are by Community Investment Strategies:
- Heritage Village at Elizabeth By Community Investment Strategies - For 62+ with low and moderate incomes - One and Two Bedroom rental apartments close to dining, shopping and more. Planned activities. 20 minutes to New York City.
Community Investment Strategies has other locations in New Jersey for 55+:
- Heritage Village at Elton Corner Freehold Township - New construction - Independent living rental apartments
- Heritage Village at Lambertville
- Heritage Village at Lawrence
- Heritage Village at Manalapan
- Rosegate Rahway
- The Clare Estate - Bordentown - affordable senior rental units - also available assisted living units for low income
- Heritage Village at Seabreeze at Lacey Very low to moderate income levels.
AHEPA-Highland apartments for over 55 - Highland Park - By Conifer - senior center shuttle service - activities - laundry room - intercom and more. Near church, synagogue, shopping, senior center. Controlled access.
239 S. Sixth Ave., Highland Park - 732-572-0700
- Cornwells Heights 1 bedrooms - Philadelphia area - controlled access, laundry room, outdoor patio, exercise room, activities. By Conifer.
1100 Gravel Pike, Bensalem, PA - 215-639-2700 - Call for appt.
- Pennypack Crossing - New 1 bedrooms - near transportation and shopping - social services - Fitness Center - Computer Lab and more. Income restrictions apply. 2723 Holme Ave., Philadelphia
- Connellsville Heritage - 1 bedrooms - 650 SF - 30 apartments - 62+ - 57 miles to Pittsburgh.
502 Decatur Avenue, Connellsville - 724-626-8876 - Office hours vary
- Greenwood Apartments - 36 1 bedrooms - 650 SF - 62+ - 45 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.- 101 Lincoln Ave., Mt. Pleasant
- Independence Apartments - 28 1-bedrooms - 62+
919 West Main St., Mt. Pleasant
- Millwood Arms - 1 bedrooms for 62+ - 40 miles northeast of Pittsburgh - 301 13th St., Ford City, Pa. - 724-763-4242
- Scottdale Plaza Apts - 22 1-bedrooms for 62+ - 49 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.
Apollo near Pittsburgh:
Pointe - Stair-free living in single-level homes, washer/dryer
connections, garages all in a park-like setting. Rental homes. 662
Cedar Ridge Dr., Apollo.
- Allentown Towne House Apts - 162 1 bedrooms For 62+ 1827 W. Walnut St., Allentown
- Ash Park Terrace - For 55+ - Chester County - 70 So. Third Ave., Coatesville, PA
- Brandywine Center - For 62+ - 74 East Lincoln Hwy, Coatesville - Chester County
- Apartments at Mulberry Corners - 62+ - 301 W. James St., Lancaster
- Marietta Senior Apts - For 62+ low to moderate incomes - architectural 4 story building of
56 1 and 2-bedrooms - local senior center - 601 East Market St.,
- Denney Reyburn Apts - 30 W. Barnard St., West Chester for 62+
Central | East Coast | Southern | West Coast
- St. Luke's Life Center - Lakeland - 1& 2 BR's starting in $400's. Clubhouse, pool, fitness. Elevator buildings and limited access entries. 913 Quincy St., Lakeland
FEATURE: Gated with clubhouse and pool
CONTACT: 4100 S. Rio Grande Ave. - 407-487-0040
Clubhouse, pool, social activities, hair salon, elevators and more.
- St. Anthony Garden Court - Saint Cloud - Osceola County, Central Florida - 400 Hamilton Park Circle by Catholic Charities. Low income apartments. Social programs. 321-805-4733 - Wait List is closed - Check back with them.
- Groves at Victoria Park -
Sebring, Central Florida - 122 units of affordable housing - swimming
pool, community center with computer lab, emergency call service,
exercise room. 3 story elevator building with 1 and 2 bedroom floor
plans with full kitchens starting in $500's.
- Chatham Pointe - 1 and 2 bedrooms in elevator building 1 hour from Tampa - Community Center, social activities, on-site laundry.
338 Stenstrom Rd., Wauchula - 863-773-3031 - Open M-F or by Appt.
Terrace - Winter Park - affordable housing across from major shopping.
Social activities. Good for 62+ disabled. 3-story elevator bldgs.
Winter Park is near Orlando. By Cambridge
Phone: 407-645-2869 -
845 West Swoope Avenue
- The Plymouth - Winter Park - 62+ HUD apartments. Adjacent to shopping center. Social activities and more. By Cambridge
Phone: 407-644-4551 -
1550 Gay Road
East Coast Florida:
- Madison Glen - Ormond Beach, East Coast Florida - 570 Sterthaus Dr - subsidized housing - 96 units. See their website for more affordable housing. Leland Enterprises.
- The Gardens at Driftwood - Hollywood, Fl, South Florida - near 95 - nothing like new apartments. From $900's. (verify as rents can change. 1-bedrooms at this time. (There may be a waitlist.) Phone: 954-983-5051
- Northwest Gardens - Fort Lauderdale - 1, 2 and 3 BR's. Minutes to I-95. 824 NW 14th Ave. - 877-693-6083
- Brownsville Transit Village
- Miami - near Metro and airport. Energy-efficient apartments with
library, clubhouse and activities; kitchens have modern design features
such as stainless steel appliances.
5225 NW 29th Avenue - Phone: 305-633-2350
- Poinciana Grove - Miami - Location, location: minutes to beach; clubhouse, fitness, library, limited access entry; 1 BR's 5601 NW 2nd Avenue - Phone: 305-873-6006
- Pine Woods Villa - Miami - HUD subsidized studio and 1-bedroom
apartments. Social activities. Convenient to buslines. On 30 scenic
pine acres in suburban environment. By Cambridge
Phone: 305-235-8269 -
1488 SW 188th Terrace
West Coast Florida:
- Magnolia Gardens - By NRP Group - 1 and 2-bedroom. - Washer/Dryer connections, elevator, clubhouse, social activities.
20180 Barnett Rd., Brooksville - 888-437-0803 - Open M-F or by Appt.
LeHigh Acres - Lee County
- Heron Pond -
LeHigh Acres - pool, fitness, shuffleboard, W/D connections available,
hair salon, elevators, social activities. Near Lehigh Regional Medical
Center. Near Lehigh Community Park and 45 minutes to beach; 1 & 2
1232 Village Lakes Blvd - Phone: 239-368-6850
- Banyan Sr Apartments - Port Richey - Pool, fitness, emergency call system. 1 and 2 BR apts start in $800's. - 11390 Highway 1
- Charlotte Crossing - Punta Gorda - affordable with pool, fitness center. (verify age requirements) - 520 Rio De Janeiro - Punta Gorda - Phone: 941-766-7001
- Irongate Apartments - Near Apollo Beach - 1820 Blair Castle Circle
- Portillo Apartments - Small community for low income
3474 Portillo Rd., Spring Hill
LOCATION: Downtown St. Petersburg
FEATURE: 1, 2 and 3-bedrooms start $743. (verify) for 1-bedroom. Newer with luxury features. Mid-rise elevator building with fitness studio, W/D available, luxury amenities, balconies, parking garage, social activities, gated, pool, and more.
CONTACT: 420 4th St. South - 727-851-9246 - Open Tues, Wed.
An active urban lifestyle is offered.
- Centro Place in Tampa - 1 & 2 BR's - clubhouse, pool and more. Featuring ceramic tile, berber carpet, W/D connections available and more. Pinnacle Management.
1302 East 21st Avenue - Phone: 813-247-7100
- River Pines Retirement Homes - Tampa - Near VA -
7517 No. 40th St. - 813-985-4419
- Williams Landing
- Tampa area in Mango, West Coast Florida - affordable housing by
Gatehouse Mgmt - 370 Williams Landing Circle Phone: 813-620-3766
Also see our Florida senior apartments page for market rate rentals; even market rate rents in Florida are low compared to nationwide.
Q. Who is eligible for low income housing?
A. Those who meet age restrictions and income restrictions. These vary.
Q. What are typical age restrictions?
A. For senior affordable housing the age restrictions are typically 55+ or 62+.
Q. What amenities and services are there?
A. These vary but some typical amenities are: transportation, social activities, on-site staff, Fitness Center and more.
Q. How to find low income housing.
A. Call or go to your local housing authority.
Q. What types of housing are low income:
A. Apartments, duplexes, single homes, condos, congregate housing
Q. What is my first step?
- Contact local housing authority.
- Fill out application.
- Provide documentation of income and assets, drivers license, and more.
- You will be on Wait List to be contacted.
Please verify all information.
For senior low income housing in any state, check with the local County Office on Aging, HUD or local builders specializing in this type of housing.
This is page 1-East Coast. See all 4 pages on our site:
Page 2 - Northern/Midwest
Illinois-Chicago | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri | Nebraska | Ohio | Wisconsin
Page 3 - West/Northwest
Arizona | California | Colorado | Idaho | New Mexico | Nevada | Oregon | Utah | Washington State
Page 4 - South
Alabama | Arkansas | Louisiana | Mississippi | Texas
Please check with individual communities for their income qualifications on Senior Low Income Housing page. We are not responsible as policies can change. We do not give advice or recommendations. Make your own careful inspections and seek advice from professional experts.