Texas Retirement Communities
This page covers Texas retirement communities that are not age-restricted but are good for active adult living. If you are only interested in over 55 in Texas, please go to age restricted communities in Texas.
Texas offers a good climate for seniors (mild winters), although the summers are long and hot--something to consider. It has no state tax on social security or income.
Major retirement areas:
- Austin/ Texas hill country
- San Antonio
Other areas for Texas retirement:
View Larger Map
Texas wants you to know about their other areas good for retirement, other than the major ones listed above, so they have a program called "Go Texan Certified Retirement Communities."
Many of these communities are in rural areas but have passed strict criteria for senior living to be in the program. I found that they do not have many large active retirement communities in these areas.
Smaller areas may be less stressful than cities, however, make sure they have enough of the amenities you would like to make retirement there enjoyable. However, if you are looking for small towns and low-cost living, Texas is making it easier to find them with their Retire in Texas program.
Home to the University of Texas for auditing classes and lifelong learning. A great area for the health-conscious boomer for its intellectual stimulation and abundant produce as well as opportunities for outdoor exercise.
Avery Ranch - Austin - Price: $-$$$$$$$$ - 1800-acre master-planned community with 17 acres of hill country with amenities hike and bike trails, pools, tennis, 18-hole golf, and 60-acre lake. 8.5 mile regional trail. Nature is a vital part of community. - Low maintenance villas - one-story plans.
2 miles North of Parmer Rd, Austin
Texas Hill Country-Kerrville
Be sure to read our article about the Texas Hill Country. We'll tell you about what Texans eat, how they dress, lifestyle, areas to live in and more--a very popular area in Texas for retirees.
Kerrville, Texas, is a well-known retirement area in the popular Texas Hill Country area offering bicycling and walking trails, good air and water, activities for seniors and scenic beauty.
- Comanche Trace Kerrville - known as one of the Top 100 golf communities. New villages available now - some have casitas which are separate units for elderly, returning children, etc.
2801 Comanche Trace Drive, Kerrville TX - 830-895-8505
- The Tribute - The Colony, TX - Price: $$$-$$$$ From the $290's - something for every lifestyle. Golf course community near Lake Lewisville not far from Dallas. New homes.
3232 Stonefield, The Colony, Texas - 972-370-7800 - Open Daily
- Stonebridge Oaks - Grapevine - Price: $$$$ - new luxury patio homes; lock and leave lifestyle Dallas-Ft worth area - maintenance-free desirable area - natural setting - city center.
4674 Trevor Trail, Grapevine - 214-763-1418
Resale Homes in Dallas Area:
- Ridgecrest - McKinney - Large homes Price: $$-$$$ - Highland Homes. 333 Hitch Wagon, McKinney, TX - Resales
- Greens of Westridge - McKinney - DR Horton - low maintenance - golfcourse.
- Townhomes at Prestonwood - Parkway Builders - upscale town homes near Prestonwood Baptist Church campus. See local Realtors for resales.
- Stonebridge Ranch - North Dallas in McKinney - upscale area - country club ambience with golf. Aquatic center and miles of hiking and biking trails. Contact local Realtors for resales.
6201 Virginia Parkway, McKinney, TX - 214-733-5800
- Villas of Willow Grove - McKinney - By Grenadier Homes - North of Craig Ranch - golf courses and hiking trails - smaller square footage, low maintenance and one-level plans.
Independent Living in Dallas Area:
- Edgemere - Upscale in Dallas - Independent living plus lifecare - only Dallas lifecare retirement community. 8523 Thackery Street, Dallas - 214-717-6322
Houston - largest city in Texas:
- The Woodlands - North of Houston - Many types of villages in this master planned community began in the 70's--Apartments, assisted living, over 55 and village-styled communities for golf, lake, gated and wooded.
2000 Woodlands Parkway - Development Company: 281-719-6300 - Open Daily
Retirement Communities home
- Riverstone - Sugarland, Southwest of Houston. Master-planned community with 24 miles of walk trails, lakes, fishing pier. Price: $$$-$$$$ - 4335 S. Shadow Mist Lane, Sugarland - 281-778-1488
Texas communities with no age restriction
Retirement Communities home
Texas without age restriction