...popular for retirement
This page is for non-age-restricted but good for retirement communities
Retirement Communities-North Carolina can be found in the rural,
small town areas that North Carolina is known for....a new trend in
North Carolina retirement communities without age restriction are listed here.
We also have a separate page for North Carolina over 55.
The retirement communities on this page can be used for retirement, vacations, snowbirding and "escapes."
The State: North Carolina is in a unique geographic location and offers very different lifestyles depending on your location: mountain, lake, urban and ocean beach.
This makes it an interesting state for retirement. Another advantage
is that the climate is mild but also varies.
Interesting Fact: Several states are
within 500 miles of North Carolina which makes it an easy day trip to
visit relatives in adjoining states. Notice the position on the map. It reaches very
View Larger Map
The Climate: It is interesting to note
that the average maximum temperature of the state is 70-75 degrees for
most of the state, except for the mountain areas which is 55 to 70
degrees. However, the average minimum temperatures vary from Mountains
only 40-45 degrees to the Middle Section (Piedmont) of 45-50 degrees and
the Coastal area is the warmest at 50-55 degrees.
Because of this
extreme difference, it is important to consider what temperature range
you are interested in for retirement and this will help you in making
The sea levels also vary quite a bit with the coastal area of
0-150 feet extending quite a bit inland, the Middle part of state from
150 to 1200 feet and the mountain areas higher.
Taxes are below the U.S. average.
Find North Carolina Communities by Lifestyle:
| Resort Communities
| Durham Area
| Golf Resort
| NC Lake Communities
| Ocean Condos
| NC near ocean
| Boating and Marinas
Asheville is a quaint small mountain town
with a European feeling. The mountain air and scenery will be relaxing
for a visit, vacation or to tryout in a retirement community; a
stimulating mountain town with lots to do near skiing in winter and
Most people agree the best
place to stay is in Asheville itself so one can enjoy the quaint shops,
lodgings and restaurants. It is also a walking town to stroll, sightsee
and enjoy dining at outdoor cafes.
- White Oak Village - Hendersonville, NC - 22 miles to
Asheville - in Blue Ridge Mountains - one level living in single family
homes in rural mountain setting.
- Settings of Black Mountain Ten miles to Asheville. Enjoy all the
excitement of easy access to Asheville. Gated Blue Ridge Mountains
community. Cottages to grand estates.
- Wolf Creek Ranch - Waynesville - Residential community in Haywood
County known for some of the highest peaks east of the Rockies. Part
of the Smoky Mountains is here along with the Blue Ridge mountains.
County is 20 minutes west of Asheville. Cold Mountain is here, the basis
of the movie of the same name. See local Realtors for resales.
- Bear Lake Reserve In Cashiers - "Mountain Lake Escape." 58 miles to Asheville. Resort-style with The Summit Golf Course. Now under new ownership. Look forward to new offerings.
- Sugar Pointe Boone - At 5000 feet, it is within highest
range of Blue Ridge Mountains and atop Sugar Mountain. Walk to ski
slopes. 1/2 acre sites from $114,900. Custom homes from the $500's. To
preserve the natural beauty, there are architectural guidelines with
many natural materials used. 73 miles from Asheville. See Realtors for
resales and rentals.
- Riverwalk Hayesville NC - Start $150's - active adult
gated community. Community center, Fitness Center. 2 and 3 bedroom
single homes. Internet available. See local Realtors.
- Charlestowne of Bradford Creek Rural area in mountain
foothills. East Carolina University is here for a college town. Area
Cardiac Center is highly ranked. There is a public golf course within
the community maintained by city. Golf villa lots. Mild 4-season
- Rose Glen Village Wilkesboro in foothills of Blue Ridge
Mountains. Senior Apartment homes. Included in monthly rent is
housekeeping, 24 hour staff, linen service, activities, utilities
(except telephone). Please verify all information.
- Waterford On highway 17 5 minutes south of Wilmington. Great location near
Myrtle Beach. See local Realtors for resales.
Homesites on the creek. Walking trails and lakes for rowing and
fishing. On site is Towne Square with shopping, medical services, and
restaurants. Resort-style pool and clubhouse.
Bermuda Run near Winston-Salem:
Bermuda Village Bermuda Run - Certified retirement resort by
Senior Hospitality Institute. Membership with Bermuda Run Country Club
is included. Own your own home at Bermuda Village. Villas and
condominiums. Linens and housekeeping, low maintenance. Care options. Bermuda Village
Near Durham -
A fast-growing area. Advantage: If you would like to work in
retirement, there are many jobs available in the variety of industries
located in the Cary/Chapel Hill area. Also, there are many universities
and colleges here with programs for seniors for lifelong learning. Close
to world class healthcare. However, it does have suburban commute
traffic along with these advantages.
See retirement communities for over 55 in North Carolina
Golf Resort -
Check other categories for overlapping as many of our listed
communities have golf as well as the features of the category they are
listed under. If they have golf, it will be mentioned.
- Ford's Colony In Rocky Mount - Gated upscale community
resort-style with golf. Wonderful Discovery package for visiting. Not
far from the colleges in the Triangle area. There is also a Fords Colony
in Williamsburg. See new Eaglescliff condominiums. Fords Colony
- Cummings Cove Golf and Country Club - Hendersonville, NC -
Gated community with award-winning 18-hole golf course. Sports complex,
clubhouse with restaurant and lounge, pool, tennis. 15 minutes south of
Asheville Airport. Homesites and homes.
Calabash near Myrtle Beach:
- Crow Creek Calabash - Gated golf community in coastal low
country offers maintenance-free condominiums, townhomes, single-family
homes and homesites. Between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, minutes to
area beaches. Crow Creek
North Carolina is a land of lakes (the
largest area of inland waters in the Nation-estimates are over 48,000
lakes and reservoirs and ponds offering recreation) and very popular for
retirement. The largest are Lake Norman, Lake Gaston and High Rock
- Olivers Landing - The Woodlands - At Hickory on Lake Hickory. By Legends Development - home ownership includes Rivercrest Golf Club membership. Also near Catawba Medical Center.
- Vista at Bill's Landing - Gated mountain community at man-made lake, Lake Lure.
Clubhouse, Fitness Center, tennis, swim pool and walking trails.
Homesites ranging from one to over three acres. About an hours drive
from Asheville. Within minutes to golf courses. Vista Developers
- Blacksmith Run - by Vista in Hendersonville area. 20 minutes to Lake Lure - fishing lake, swim pool, clubhouse, fitness - mountain craftsman-style homes starting at $200,000's.
Ocean Condos -
Indian Beach near Beaufort:
- Grand Villas - Indian Beach near historic Beaufort.
Spacious and designed for ocean views. 1400-2700 SF with a variety of
layout choices. Open floorplans. 151 miles to Raleigh. Nearly sold out. Call soon for new. 877-845-4438
Southport near Wilmington:
- St. James Plantation - 30 minutes north of Wilmington at
Southport. Diverse neighborhoods within compose St. James. There is
also a condominium development, Harbor Walk on marina. Dry slips when
available. 4 golf courses, walking trails and country club living. First
homes started in 1991.
- Beacon Townes - By Centex in Carolina Shores near Southport in Calabash.
- Rivermist Townes - By Centex in Southport.
- Sea Trail - Sunset Beach - See "Near Ocean" listings, below.
- The Shoreline at Sunset Beach - Condos - Quiet out-of-the
congestion retreat. Spacious 2 and 3-bedrooms, open floorplans and
porches. Only 112 condos built in this best-kept-secret area. Check it
out. Quiet and smallest island at 3 miles. Check with local Realtors
- Dolphin Shores - Gated luxury condo waterfront environment away from tourist congestion. Holden Beach. See local Realtors for resales.
Near Ocean -
- Sunset Ridge by Bill Clark Homes At Sunset Beach - Sold - Luxury
coastal homes and townhomes. 2.15 miles to beach. Lawn maintenance. Started upper $100's. See
other communities also by Bill Clark Homes in this area.
- Sea Trail - Sunset Beach - 3 golf courses. Restaurant on
site - resort condos and single-family lots. Will rent your condo out
for you. Condos are 2 bedrooms at 900 SF. 1 mile to beach. Resale
homes. They can handle resales within community also. Called #1 beach
and complete golfing community on NC coast. Many amenities. Quaint
The Tropics at Waterford - on outskirts
of Wilmington. Open floor plans, covered lanaii. Can put Bonus room
above garage to create a separate space for visitors. Ask to see the
popular Heron Floorplan. Able to customize your home.
The builder, Logan Homes, considers communication with the customer high priority since many are from out of town.
Active Adult Living:
Photo by The Village at Mott's Landing
- The Village at Mott's Landing - The latest styles in interiors and exteriors. Clubhouse, pool, near ocean and river amenities. This is an active adult community where retirees are the focus but no age requirement. Starts $300's. Selling now. New section open now. By Premier Homes. River Rd. at Sanders Rd., Wilmington
- Also see the new gated community of Pamela's Place within Mott's Landing. By Premier Homes.
Bolivia near Southport:
- Palmetto Creek in Bolivia
Ph: 800-203-8554 - 1186 Ternata Dr.
Resort lifestyle 30 minutes to beaches of Southport. Six neighborhoods. Amenities include nature trails.
- Carolina Colours -
Ph: 877-356-2304 - 503 W. Thurman Rd., New Bern
30 miles inland from the Atlantic in New
Bern but close enough to enjoy the Coast.
The Cobblestone Neighborhood
was designed with baby boomers in mind offering carriage-style homes on one level.
Within master planned community of Carolina Colours offering various
traditional-styled neighborhoods with many amenities planned.
Also see Equestrian Communities
Boating and Marinas-
- Cypress Landing
Ph: 252-975-3255 - 100 Marina Dr., Chocowinity, NC
On Chocowinity Bay - Golf, tennis, marina,
boating, Yacht Club, restaurant, pool, walking trails. 720 homesites -
new and resale. Lots and homes.
Hertford near Elizabeth City:
- Albemarle Plantation - Hertford NC
Ph: 800-523-5958 - 1 Plantation Dr., Hertford
Near the Coast and on
the Albemarle Sound and Yeopim River near Elizabeth City. Albemarle
Marina with 166 boat slips to accomodate small boats up to yachts. Also
18-hole Dan Maple-designed golf course. Gated community with waterfront
homes. 2000 acres. Some prices in mid-$100's range. Visit Stay.
- St. James Plantation - See Ocean Condos, above
Cape Fear near Wilmington:
- The Bluffs on Cape Fear
Ph: 866-725-8337 - 1105 New Pointe Blvd #6, Leland, NC
Gated, dockable community. Nature awaits! Selection of builders will build on your homesite. Pool is completed and clubhouse underway. 6 acre lake. Enjoy nearby historic Wilmington. Discovery tour and model home coming.
Back to Top
- Compass Pointe
Ph: 888-717-6468 - Leland, NC near Wilmington
Resort-style living. Cottages to castles. Cottages start low $200's. See the long list of amenities that you and your grandchildren can enjoy. All ages.