...great climate for retirement
South Carolina Retirement Communities in this section are not age-qualified but are good
for retirement. For over 55 communities in South Carolina, please go to:
55+ South Carolina or
Myrtle Beach for over 55.
Feel the wet sand between your toes..the rising sun on the horizon promises another lazy day at the beach..the climate is warmer along the coastal areas. If this is your dream, read on.
South Carolina is also loved by golfers. In the Spring, golfers come to this state for its warm climate and golf. Myrtle Beach with its approximate 100 golf courses, twenty of which have been ranked in the top 100 by Golf Digest, is a popular golf and retirement destination.
Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach are the most popular areas for a coastal retirement; other retirement areas are Aiken (horse country), Augusta, Charleston, Greenville, the lake areas, and more.
Golf is so popular in South Carolina that you will find most communities have golf courses nearby even if it is not included at the community--but please check.
View Larger Map
Lakes, golf and equestrian
| Lakes with Golf
Places on this page:
- Callahassee Island
- Hilton Head
- Lake Greenwood
- Lake Thurmond (McCormick)
- Myrtle Beach non-age restricted
- Pawley's Island
Active retirement communities with Lakes, Golf and Equestrian
New and Resale
Aiken (also see equestrian)
- The Reserve at Woodside Plantation - Aiken SC -
master-planned community. Niklaus golf course - equestrian. 2 hours to
Carolina beaches. Low maintenance villas to estates. 30 acres of nature
preserves with ponds for fishing. Offers "The Reserve Club." See The Cloisters luxury community.
1411 Silver Bluff Rd. - Ph: 803-641-9663
- Cedar Creek - Aiken - Small quaint town - University of South
Carolina nearby - Aiken Branch is here with Academy of Lifelong
Newest neighborhood features 1/2 acre wooded lots backing to
green space. Senior Wellness Center. Village Green. Smaller patio homes
and assisted living center are planned for future (verify).
See list of resales on their site. 18-hole semi-private golf course by Arthur Hills. Miles
of walking trails, designated bicycle lane and more. Cedar Creek - Ph: 800-937-5362
- Mount Vintage Plantation and Golf Club North Augusta,
South Carolina and minutes to Augusta Georgia and Aiken SC - Athletic
Center, Equestrian facility, 5000 acres, town center. Maintenance-free
community. Walking and biking. Patio homes start $300's. Lots available.
Mount Vintage Plantation and Golf Club
Lake and Golf
New and Resale
Grand Harbor Golf and Yacht Club On Lake Greenwood. 3 neighborhoods - Also, award-winning golf - variety of homestyles. Homesites start less
than $50,000. Homes from mid-$200's (verify). Exclusive gated. Patriot Golf Course. Grand Harbor Marina with 80 boat slips. See link for The Plantation neighborhood, below. Grand Harbor Golf and Yacht Club -
- Also see the Canoe Bay Townhouse neighborhood for low maintenance lifestyle starting low $300's (verify prices with local Realtors).
200 Grand Harbor Blvd., Ninety-six, SC - Ph: 877-401-6330
Savannah Lakes Village - McCormick. On Lake Thurmond. Lake
Thurmond is 90% underdeveloped and is the largest man-made lake East of
This is one of the more affordable communities with lake
amenities. Homesites start at $25,000 - golf sites start at $50,000 and
lakefront $85,000-370,000. Homes $160's and up. Ideal for boating and
fishing and 2 golf courses. Unique climate nestled in forests. New homes available. Savannah Lakes Village - 5812 U.S. Highway 378 W. - Ph: 864-391-4116
Hilton Head (also see Coastal)
- Callahassee Island Near Hilton Head - Wildlife habitat. 27-hole
championship golf, tennis, fitness, deep water docks. Homes from
$300,000. Homesites from $100,000. Resales. See local Realtors.
Aiken--the Center of the Equestrian Culture
- Brigadoon - Near Aiken in the heart of thoroughbred country - equestrian community - 2 polo fields- see local Realtors.
- Kalmia Landing - Aiken - charming smaller community is very near
the University of South Carolina in Aiken with continuing education.
Also near the Aiken regional medical center. Resale homes and lots. Not equestrian community but area is equestrian center of SC. Kalmia Landing - Ph: 803-642-9765 (office hours)
Photo by The Ridge
The Ridge at Chukker Creek - Aiken - Unique features make
this community interesting - all-age community has a retirement focus -
equestrian facilities - considered a "green" community (for savings on
energy and maintenance), homes are built to green-built guidelines. See
their website for all the details.
Spring-fed pond, Nature Preserve, Athletic complex, trail network, waterfront community center and more. The Ridge at Chukker Creek in Aiken - Ph: 803-502-1030
Also see: Mount Vintage Plantation and The Plantation communities under Golf category, above. Also, Grand Harbor, under lakes, has equestrian facilities.
Go to our page on Equestrian Communities in the U.S.
Shrimp boats near Hilton Head
- Overlook at Battery Creek Beaufort - From mid $300's -
Marsh views. Minutes to historic Beaufort, Hilton Head, Savannah and
Charleston. Quiet and scenic coastal area.
Hilton Head Island
- Hampton Pointe - The Villa Collection - By Toll Brothers -
Minutes to Hilton Head Island. Gated country club style neighborhood
with golf, tennis, pool, miles of walk and bike paths, activities and
Hampton Pointe Blvd., Hardeeville, SC - See local Realtors
- Hampton Lakes Community - Bluffton - Discovery package. Freshwater lake
community near Hilton Head. The new Amenity Village will be the focal
point of activities. Adults-only pool with cabanas. Also, boathouse, dog
park, fitness and more.
Vacation Rentals in South Carolina:
- The Arbors at Hampton Lakes - By K Hovnanian - cottage-styled single homes from low $300's. 20 Hampton Lake Dr.
See their Vacation Ownership program where you can come part of the year and rent out your home when you aren't there.
20 Hampton Lake Dr., Bluffton - Ph: 866-875-LAKE - 3-day Discovery Program (see rules)
Myrtle Beach Non-Age Restricted
For Age-restricted, see over 55 communities at Myrtle Beach
- Woodland Valley 300 acres - nature preserve - walking trails, lakes, clubhouse, golf. 15 minutes from North Myrtle Beach - golf course community. Gated custom homes and home sites. Nature trails through 100 acres of conservation area. Developers retained a large amount of the tree life providing a buffer between homes.
Near Grand Strand but a less congested area. Near Grand Strand Regional Hospital and Coastal Carolina Univ. for continuing education. See local Realtors.
See our Review and listings of Over 55 Retirement Communities at Myrtle Beach (11)
The haunting beauty of Pawleys Island at dusk
New by Lennar:
The Colony at Pawleys Island - 25 miles south of Myrtle Beach and 70 miles north of Charleston - 49 medium to large single homes - experience a unique lifestyle - Charleston-styled homes - Enjoy area amenities from golf to canoeing, bicycling, tennis and beaches.
88 Southgate Court, Pawleys Island, SC - 843-471-9814
Georgetown (30 minutes south of Myrtle Beach area):
- Riverhouse Georgetown - By Litchfield - Homesites from $59,900. Gated, boat storage, docks, outdoor fire pit, pool, private boat ramp, tennis.
- Harbor Club Near Georgetown marina. Deep water slips, views of Winyah Bay, walking trails, natural lakes - 5 miles from Atlantic jetties.
- Cravens Grant Georgetown - gated waterfront community in "Low Country" on Winyah Bay. Four rivers and Intracoastal waterway meet. Charleston-style homes with porches. Boat dock (verify).
2449 Sandy Bay Rd., Kingstree, SC - See local Realtors
This is where you are:
55+ South Carolina
South Carolina not age restricted
You may also like:
Looking for retirement communities in the South?