Retirement Communities-Bay Area
Retirement communities-Bay Area includes the cities of the South Bay.
When I moved to Sunnyvale in 1970, there were still fruit orchards everywhere; and I watched the Bay Area grow quickly and change. Now all the people who went there at the time I did (at the first beginnings of Silicon Valley and not called that yet) are in their 60's and 70's and are looking for retirement communities there. To meet the demand these communities have newly sprouted up.
The Bay area is a beautiful place to retire whether a person is new to the area and finally achieving the dream of going to California, or has always lived there. Another reason for going to California is to join grown children who have jobs there. The climate is exceptional in "the Valley" -- one should not be disappointed.
Homes have become extremely expensive in this area, and a person may think living here is out of the question. However, those who sell their long-time Silicon Valley home can afford to downsize to one of these communities. For another option, if the income qualifies, one may find an affordable housing community. Market prices in this area range from extremely upscale to reasonable.
Senior Retirement Living for Changing Needs
Another scenario I have come across are older parents moving to where their children live and work and they aren't sure they can afford the area.
Check out areas close to but a little further away from Silicon Valley like Fremont, areas of San Jose or Santa Cruz County.
Check out the senior apartments in California or California low income apartments.
A bit of history..Today the cherry orchards that once covered Silicon Valley are all gone with one exception:
Charlie Olson's farm...
Charlie Olson held out as long as he could not selling his land as Silicon Valley sprouted up all around him..
Part of his cherry orchards was always dedicated to a farm stand and he wanted to keep that tradition...He managed to keep a couple acres and today it is a poetic reminder of what once was...Today you can still buy the sweet Bings in Silicon Valley on the original patch - CJOlson Cherries
- Mountain View
- Santa Clara
- San Jose
- Los Gatos
- Scotts Valley
- Palo Alto
- Portola Valley
- Redwood City
- Foster City
- San Mateo
View Larger Map
- Crescent Terrace Senior Apartments 130 Crescent Avenue Sunnyvale 408-749-1060
- Atria Sunnyvale - 175 E. Remington Dr. - this is a nice Sunnyvale neighborhood location and this retirement community is one of the oldest in the area. Near Senior Center, parks, shopping and medical. Also has assisted living and memory care options.
- Sunnyside Gardens Assisted Living - Sunnyvale - Premier boutique retirement community for assisted living.
- Redwood Villa - Since 1953 - Exercise room, apartment homes, dining room, swim pool, shuffleboard, sauna/jacuzzi, library, activities, scheduled transportation, putting green, hair salon. Now includes 3 meals/day and housekeeping in monthly fee (verify). Mountain View is a lovely well-located city and the prices listed on their website seem reasonable for this area - 1981 Montecito Ave.
a little more reasonably priced area and very close to Kaiser Hospital..
- Camino Del Rey - Affordable housing in Santa Clara - 1 bedrooms - Mission-style design - Amenities include community room and courtyard area with barbecue. 2525 El Camino Real, Santa Clara
- The Westmont - apartments with services - Scott Blvd near Santa Clara University and Great America Amusement Park. Also close to Kaiser Hospital. 3 meals daily, housekeeping and linen service, activities, transportation, pet friendly. Rental studios, 1 and 2-bedrooms with kitchenette.
1675 Scott Blvd., Santa Clara - 408-831-3629
- The Forum - Cupertino - Would you believe a country ambience in the Silicon Valley -- this community is for 60+ and is in the Cupertino foothills near an open space preserve. Also offers equity ownership and continuing care. So many amenities and services included you need to ask.
- Chateau-Cupertino Retirement Residence Independent retirement living. 1 and 2-bedroom apartments with bath and kitchenettes with full-size refrigerators. One mile to one of the largest and nicest shopping malls in Silicon Valley. Dining room and housekeeping services. Family-owned with month-to-month rates. Rates on website. Great location.
San Jose/Willow Glen
- Atria Willow Glen - Willow Glen is a very quaint upscale area in San Jose. This is an award winning community on seven acres with a resort-like campus. Heated pool. Independent and assisted living with memory care. 1660 Gaton Dr. - 408-512-2307
- Atria Chateau Gardens Independent and assisted living - San Jose - Lots of charm and English gardens are soothing. Gardens are year-round in this amazing climate. 1185 Pedro St. - 408-463-6244
- The Villages Golf and Country Club - East San Jose in the Foothills area -- This is a beautiful area up against the foothills near Evergreen College. The foothills are beautiful and you will feel out in the country yet still in the outer reaches of Silicon Valley. Gated with 2 golf courses and 2500 homes. Parks and trails very close.
- Regency of Evergreen Valley San Jose - also has assisted living - Living In the foothills area of East San Jose. 4463 San Felipe Road
San Jose, CA - 408-775-7198
- Brookdale San Jose by Brookdale Senior Living - An independent community in the midst of San Jose - gardening areas, fine dining and much more in this nice area. Also assisted living and memory care. 1009 Blossom River Way, San Jose - 408-444-5396
Affordable and Market Rate Senior Apartment Communities By ROEM Corp. in San Jose:
- 1st and Rosemary (affordable) - 60 E. Rosemary St. - 1 bedrooms - 408-606-8098
- Corde Terra Senior (affordable and market rate) - 2600 Corde Circle - 1 BR's - 408-298-9988
- Hacienda Creek - 80 units - 399 East Court - 408-885-0551
- Gadberry Courts - 2555 Alum Rock Ave. - 408-928-2750
- Monte Vista I - 2605 La Hacienda Ct. - 408-928-2750
- Monte Vista II - 2600 Nuestra Castillo Court - 408-928-2750
Pleasanton - East Bay Area Resales
- The Village at Ironwood - Pleasanton - this is like its name sounds a lovely area about 40 minutes from San Jose. This once rural town has become an extension of the San Jose area but still retains the feel of a small town. The area with its country vista of green foothills that turn golden in summer has golf, hospitals, shopping and more. Amenities include the clubhouse and pool and the Iron Horse walking trail nearby. Gated with 2 and 3 bedroom homes. By Ponderosa Homes - 1028 Bradford Court Resales only
- Saratoga Retirement Community - Nestled in foothills of Santa Cruz mountains near Silicon Valley. Apartments and cottages for independent living. Also assisted living available. Continuing care community.
Los Gatos was always one of my favorite towns. I can remember the cool evening breezes coming off the Santa Cruz Mountains. Depending on what part of Los Gatos you are in, it can be the gateway to the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- The Terraces of Los Gatos Apartment homes by American Baptist Homes. Assisted living and care is available should you need it at this continuing care community. Uses the Posit Science Brain Fitness Program and Family Virtual Visits.
- Corinthian House Active adult living. Apartment homes for 62+. Income requirements and a few apartments through HUD.
- Brookdale Scotts Valley - Scotts Valley near Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz County by Brookdale - Long-time popular and large Independent and assisted living community - not too far to ocean and redwoods of Santa Cruz and approx. 30 miles to San Jose.
100 Lockwood Lane, Scotts Valley - 831-325-0897
Palo Alto - CCRC
- Vi at Palo Alto Formerly The Park Lane - Palo Alto. Extremely upscale area and luxury retirement living in the heart of Silicon Valley. (Formerly Classic Residence by Hyatt.)
$370 million property opened in Palo Alto in 2005 near Stanford University. Some programs from Stanford. All the luxury amenities. Cuisine features low fat and low salt entrees and desserts lower in sugar.
This is one of the best locations for Northern California retirement communities with access to San Francisco, San Jose and the Pacific Coast. Some of the most expensive and elegant retirement homes in the country are at Vi Palo Alto. Apartment-styled with assisted living and continuing care available. 620 Sand Hill Rd., Palo Alto 877-776-3972 Vi at Palo Alto
Lifecare Community with independent living and assisted living:
The Sequoias - Beautiful upscale area near Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto. Apartment-style homes offering pool, dining, activities and more. Entrance and monthly fees. Northern California Presbyterian Homes - 501 Portola Rd. Ph: 650-851-1501
Redwood City is situated on the Bay with a yacht harbor, Pete's Harbor. Visit their restaurant and enjoy a casual relaxing meal.
- Brookdale Redwood City - by Brookdale Senior Living - Independent and assisted living is an option - apartment homes with services - healthy menus - by the Bay - 485 Woodside Rd. - 650-273-7788
Foster Square - Sold
Foster City - 55+ Condominiums By Lennar - Started from $900's - Features include tennis courts, sports courts, walk to public library - 25 mi south of San Francisco
1009 Foster Square Lane, Foster City
Upscale area near San Francisco Int Airport.
- Versailles - in San Mateo - great Peninsula location - 7 miles to San Francisco
International Airport. Luxury 55+ condominium Northern California
All the luxury amenities. One and
two-bedrooms. French architectural style. Gourmet dining program
tailored to meet your needs. Concierge and spa services and much more.